Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR
Quote:Colour film does not reach 11 stops. BW film might, there are contrasty (low DR) BW films and low contrast (high DR) BW films. The high DR films look super bland. Positive slide film reaches 5-6 stops.
Kodachrome was a colored b/w film and goes beyond 5-6 stops - which I doubt for slides, but never measured, so you might be right.
I was referring to b/w film, you're right, color negative has a lower range.

Quote:You can't have lifted shadows that look black, if they look black you have not lifted them.
With "black" I meant the shadows didn't went purple, grainy or other sort of powerless bunch of flat colors in a part of the picture I expect dark shadows. I could have said "dark grey", but even then you would argue against, I guess.

Quote:You can only look ate a 14 stops DR image by compressing the 14 stops into the stops your medium allows. Lets say 8 stops. What would be black in normal 8 stop tonal curve now is a grey, what would be white with a normal tonal curve also is a grey. The white and black points have shifted.
If you're compressing a 14 stop picture to 8 stops it is no longer a 14 stop picture, that's simple logic. If you're drying an apple the result will be dry fruit, looking less colourful than the apple was and containing not the same amount of water. Sometimes I get the impression you're misunderstanding on purpose just to keep your position.

Messages In This Thread
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM