Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras
Quote:Hi all,

I have a handful of manual focus (non-CPU) Nikon lenses and am thinking about getting a digital body to use them on. I am still a bit confused by the possibilities, because I was not able to quickly test these things in a shop.

As I understand it, with a Nikon camera (D7000 or higher) I can use the aperture ring in aperture priority  and in Manual mode, but am still able to use wide-open metering. Can I also use modes in which the camera sets the aperture, i.e., shutter priority and program?

With Canon (and an adapter, of course) I have to pre-dial the aperture (and am thus limited to aperture priority and manual modes) and use stopped-down metering, but would have the advantage of an in-focus indicator in the viewfinder. Is that correct?

Does this work with all Canon bodies or are there restrictions like with Nikon?
With Canon, it does not matter which body you use. However, some focus confirmation chips with focus trap functionality don't work on the newest bodies, you have to take care to then pick an adapter with a newer version chip which does support the 5D mk III, 6D, 650D and such.

You focus wide open (or upto f5.6), then you close down the aperture if need be. Then you take the shot (the camera will meter for you). You do have focus confirmation (with an adapter with focus confirmation chip), which may work very well, or not so great depending on the lens you use (and probably, which body). Depends on how well the lens is corrected, I think (and on the spectrum range the camera uses to PD AF).

I get very precise focus confirmation results with my Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 and 55mm f3.5, not so great with my 50mm f2.

The cheap focus confirmation chips suppose a 50mm f1.4 lens. This will mean a slight over exposure at smaller apertures, because cameras boost amplification with such big apertures to compensate light loss at chip level. So expect 1/3rd to 1/2 stop over exposure when you are shooting f2.8 or smaller, when the camera thinks it is f1.4.

More expensive ones (V5+, dandelion) allow you to set a different aperture value, which will prevent that. They also provide you with trap focus.

The Canon 50D/60D/70D have changeable focus screens, as does the 5D series (and I guess the 6D series too?) with a screen available for more precise MF.

Nikon pre-AI lenses WILL damage any Nikon camera mount which supports Ai lenses. So either convert them to Ai, or use them on a different camera body.

Quote:Another question: I have seen that KatzEye is not selling manual focusing screens for most of the current cameras. Do you know of any other supplier for these screens?

Thanks for any answers or comments.

Thomas.

Messages In This Thread
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Brightcolours - 08-21-2013, 09:20 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by PuxaVida - 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-23-2013, 07:45 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by Guest - 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras - by PuxaVida - 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM