Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras
Hi all,

I have a handful of manual focus (non-CPU) Nikon lenses and am thinking about getting a digital body to use them on. I am still a bit confused by the possibilities, because I was not able to quickly test these things in a shop.

As I understand it, with a Nikon camera (D7000 or higher) I can use the aperture ring in aperture priority  and in Manual mode, but am still able to use wide-open metering. Can I also use modes in which the camera sets the aperture, i.e., shutter priority and program?

With Canon (and an adapter, of course) I have to pre-dial the aperture (and am thus limited to aperture priority and manual modes) and use stopped-down metering, but would have the advantage of an in-focus indicator in the viewfinder. Is that correct?

Does this work with all Canon bodies or are there restrictions like with Nikon?

Another question: I have seen that KatzEye is not selling manual focusing screens for most of the current cameras. Do you know of any other supplier for these screens?

Thanks for any answers or comments.

Thomas.

Thomas, see below, but if the camera has live view you won't need it... unless you really want to use the viewfinder.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?...72b7f5fc0e
If your lenses are Ai-S lenses, you should be fine. If they are even older, carefully check compatibility first. Some old F-mount lenses can damage modern cameras.
Quote:As I understand it, with a Nikon camera (D7000 or higher) I can use the aperture ring in aperture priority  and in Manual mode, but am still able to use wide-open metering.
Ai-S lenses should work on all current Nikon DSLRs, but on bodies below the D7000 you can't tell the camera what lens is mounted (via the menu). Metering is limited then. 
Quote:Can I also use modes in which the camera sets the aperture, i.e., shutter priority and program?
No. You set the aperture with the aperture ring and the camera closes the aperture to the selected value when the shutter button is pressed. This is a mechanical link, so shutter priority and P won't work. On no Nikon. You need CPU lenses to do that.
Quote:Another question: I have seen that KatzEye is not selling manual focusing screens for most of the current cameras. Do you know of any other supplier for these screens?

See the link boris posted, you can find similar offers on eBay. However, I can't comment on the quality. Focus screens need to be manufactured very precisely. A minor error in thickness will lead to front- or backfocus. This happened to me even with a Katzeye screen in the D300.

I think a D7100 screen is already available, but D600 and D800 screens won't happen, because they cannot be easily changed.

However, feel free to send an email to Katzeye with any questions you might have. Rachael Katz usually answers within a day or two.

I don't think liveview is a usable substitute, unless a tripod is involved. However, on Nikon cameras the digital rangefinder (the "green dot" and two arrows in the viewfinder) works with anything you can mont on the camera, including non-CPU lenses.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Hi all,

I have a handful of manual focus (non-CPU) Nikon lenses and am thinking about getting a digital body to use them on. I am still a bit confused by the possibilities, because I was not able to quickly test these things in a shop.

As I understand it, with a Nikon camera (D7000 or higher) I can use the aperture ring in aperture priority  and in Manual mode, but am still able to use wide-open metering. Can I also use modes in which the camera sets the aperture, i.e., shutter priority and program?

With Canon (and an adapter, of course) I have to pre-dial the aperture (and am thus limited to aperture priority and manual modes) and use stopped-down metering, but would have the advantage of an in-focus indicator in the viewfinder. Is that correct?

Does this work with all Canon bodies or are there restrictions like with Nikon?
With Canon, it does not matter which body you use. However, some focus confirmation chips with focus trap functionality don't work on the newest bodies, you have to take care to then pick an adapter with a newer version chip which does support the 5D mk III, 6D, 650D and such.

You focus wide open (or upto f5.6), then you close down the aperture if need be. Then you take the shot (the camera will meter for you). You do have focus confirmation (with an adapter with focus confirmation chip), which may work very well, or not so great depending on the lens you use (and probably, which body). Depends on how well the lens is corrected, I think (and on the spectrum range the camera uses to PD AF).

I get very precise focus confirmation results with my Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 and 55mm f3.5, not so great with my 50mm f2.

The cheap focus confirmation chips suppose a 50mm f1.4 lens. This will mean a slight over exposure at smaller apertures, because cameras boost amplification with such big apertures to compensate light loss at chip level. So expect 1/3rd to 1/2 stop over exposure when you are shooting f2.8 or smaller, when the camera thinks it is f1.4.

More expensive ones (V5+, dandelion) allow you to set a different aperture value, which will prevent that. They also provide you with trap focus.

The Canon 50D/60D/70D have changeable focus screens, as does the 5D series (and I guess the 6D series too?) with a screen available for more precise MF.

Nikon pre-AI lenses WILL damage any Nikon camera mount which supports Ai lenses. So either convert them to Ai, or use them on a different camera body.

Quote:Another question: I have seen that KatzEye is not selling manual focusing screens for most of the current cameras. Do you know of any other supplier for these screens?

Thanks for any answers or comments.

Thomas.
Quote:The Canon 50D/60D/70D have changeable focus screens, as does the 5D series (and I guess the 6D series too?) with a screen available for more precise MF.
The -S series screens. They are awesome, something I really miss since I switched to Nikon.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I think the key words are AI, AI-S & AI-P... Markus' post already explains the key functionalities. If you have a Nikon lens manufactured after 1977 (that's when AI was introduced), you will be able to meter with modern high-end Nikon DSLRs (D7000 and D300). But lower-end bodies do not allow to enter the AI lens' max. aperture and FL manually in the user menu, so you have to set the exposure manually.

How can you understand if it's AI-S? A picture worths a thousand words:

[Image: img5.jpg]

You won't see that scoop on the bayonet flange for lenses before AI-S. And also the smallest aperture is marked with orange color on the AI-S lenses' aperture ring. AI-S lenses have automatic aperture controll.

AI-P lenses include a further development; a CPU which transmitts data to camera body. So you have all the exposure modes. And how can you be sure that it's AI-P, well I guess you would seek for that scoop (as in AI-S) and an electronic coupling.

Serkan

Thanks everybody for your very helpful replies. I did not know that Nikon bodies have a focus indicator also for manual-focus lenses just like the Canon bodies. The Canon-manufactured focusing screens were also unknown to me.

I have an AI-S Nikkor 50/1.2, an AI Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 and an SL-II (which is equivalent to AI-P) Voigtländer 20/3.5.

The most logical choice would be a full-frame body, otherwise the 20/3.5 is a bit wasted.

The full story is that I just got rid of my whole m43 kit, because I enjoyed shooting with a film-based little SLR much more than looking at the rear screen of a digital camera. And now I feel the urge for a digital body that allows similar operation (that is, mainly having a good OVF and being relatively light-weight). Later on, I might add one or two auto-focus prime lenses.

That said, the Nikon D600 looks like a good match, but the Canon 6D does not look bad either, being 100 grams lighter and offering first-party replacement focusing screens.

Thanks again for all of your replies,

Thomas.

There's another thread of somebody who's ready to buy one of those, maybe you like to look in.

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...ch-to-buy/

As I heard, there are adaptors for Nikon lenses on Canon, so you're literally free to choose since you don't loose any AF functions. I'm Nikon owner but like to peek often the fence. I know one can't have it all and I don't give up all the nice glass for some features I'm interested in. But if Canon and Nikon stay on their current lanes I've to say these days I would look very closely to Canon.

Also, I would hesitate to praise the Nikon focus indicator (haven't tried Canon's): it's far away from the center in the left lower corner and I find it distractive to look at and look at the same time for composition. But that might be a lack of experience or skill from my side.
The focus indicator in Nikon cameras actually goes a bit beyond the one in Canon cameras, since it not only signals when the subject is in focus, but also in which direction to turn the lens as long as it's not in focus (that's what the two arrows are for).

If you consider a Nikon camera, maybe the D700 is another option? Sure, it's quite a bit larger and heavier than the D600, but you could get a Katzeye screen for it. However, I suggest to try any camera with the default viewfinder and screen first.

The larger Nikon FX cameras with round eye-pieces (D700/D800/D3 series and D4) allow to mount a viewfinder magnifier (DK-17M), which magnifies the viewfinder image by roughly 20 percent.

Since you mention Ai-P: there are only a few "native" (=Nikkor) Ai-P lenses: the 45/2.8 pancake, the 500/4 and the mighty 1200-1700mm zoom.

However, as you mention, some 3rd party lenses do qualify as Ai-P lenses. To sum it up:

Voigtländer SL = Ai-S
Voigtländer SL II = Ai-P
Zeiss ZF = Ai-S
Zeiss ZF.2 = Ai-P

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:There's another thread of somebody who's ready to buy one of those, maybe you like to look in.

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...ch-to-buy/

As I heard, there are adaptors for Nikon lenses on Canon, so you're literally free to choose since you don't loose any AF functions. I'm Nikon owner but like to peek often the fence. I know one can't have it all and I don't give up all the nice glass for some features I'm interested in. But if Canon and Nikon stay on their current lanes I've to say these days I would look very closely to Canon.

Also, I would hesitate to praise the Nikon focus indicator (haven't tried Canon's): it's far away from the center in the left lower corner and I find it distractive to look at and look at the same time for composition. But that might be a lack of experience or skill from my side.
The Canon will beep too. And the focus point will light up.