Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
portrait photography: feedback please
[quote name='Lony' timestamp='1300359406' post='6897']

Hello all,

As I am just starting out in portrait photography I am still learning, but making progress.

Therefore I would like to have some feedback on my portraits and tips to improve my skills.

I hope to get some feedback, thank you!

Lony

[/quote]

Leaving technical aspects aside, I think the main problem with both shots is that they dont show the model from their best sides. As a portrait photographer, you have to spent all the time and effort you can, to find the best angle which emphasizes a models best features. So my first recommendation is shoot as many frames possible from as many differnt angles as possible to see what looks best. For example a person with a very long face would look best if shot from very slightly above. while a person with a very round face looks better if shot from level. A person with a very big nose might also look better from slightly above. some people look better if photographed a bit from the side , while this would not be recommend for the big- nose candidate.

The difficulty with all this advicce is that you need to keep your model comfortable at all times and provide reassurance that they feel relaxed and self concious in front of the camera.

When you know how to do all this, you can turn to technical aspects. First: light: in your shots you have used difuse /direct front light, which is not a bad choice. In fact, it is ideal for practicing with the model. Next I would be to pay a bit more attention to the background. of course you alredy blurred it, which is a good (though definately not the only) choice. would recommend a bit more however: Make a concious decion if and to what extend you blur the back or foreground and dont foget to compose the background even whenits blurred. If you blur the background, either make it completly uniform or make sure that something which relates to the model is at least identifiable. For example on a hot summer day a nicly blured bridge over a tranquil lake could add a little story to your portrait. If you included just some blurred unidentifible something in the background, there is still some distraction form the model. In particulr I would try to avoid all shades of red in the background since it tends to overpower all other colour (exception being an autmn themed pic, for example, if your model looks autmunm like and has some red on him/her as well).

once you have model and background under control, play with light. Be brave. Even strong contra light from the sinking sun can produce wonderful sumertime protraits.

The last point would approach is post process. Post Process means slight enhancements to the photo which underline the best features of the model and improve the overall picture quality. Refrain from turning your models skin to plastic like sombody else here did. It looks artificial and bad. If you dont know how to professional improve skin tones with photoshop, only retouch pimples, scratches, red blemishes and other very obvious skin irregularities. Adjust white balance to achieve the best look and pleasing skin tones. Pleasing menas just that: pleasing! Forget about technical accuracy . It is absolutly irrelvant whether your white point is "correct" or not, unless the model has aked you to provide an exact sample of their skin colour.

Last: If you wanna be creative Photoshop can help you turn your portrait into something else. But be sure you have a CONCEPT before you try something odd. Merely plastizizing the skin or adding false colour is not gonna make a good shot w. Concept means you plan the look of the image and pre-visualize the final product before you shoot.

Thats it. Bets of luck and keep practicing

Messages In This Thread
portrait photography: feedback please - by Lony - 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Lony - 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Rainer - 03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Lony - 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Rainer - 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Lony - 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by anyscreenamewilldo - 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 03-18-2011, 02:09 AM
portrait photography: feedback please - by anyscreenamewilldo - 03-18-2011, 02:46 AM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by wojtt - 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Saldo - 07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
portrait photography: feedback please - by Guest - 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM