Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Say goodbye? Full-frame DSLRs gone by 2025

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/201...rs-by-2025

--Florent

Flickr gallery
A decade is a very, very long time in technology-based industries.

Yep. And if there's something "better" around, I won't burst into tears for mirrors Smile

Quote: 

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/201...rs-by-2025

So they are using the same approach as in telescope arrays in order to achieve a higher resolution (and a nice way to equalize centering defects). Interesting although it will not work out for several scenarios (ultra-wide, long tele, macro).

It's hard to foresee the end of DSLRs. There are numerous traditional photographers out there.

Let's face it - when looking at the demographics, the sweet spot is in the age group around 45. Half of the people aren't overly technology-affine thus they will stick to the stuff they always used (thus mostly DSLRs).

The final death of DSLRs is still far away. However, the loss of relevance may occur within those 10 years.

I think the "next thing" is an interesting question. Honestly I have always wondered why the industry didn't release a smartphone with system mount - can't be that hard. This would kill half of the existing system market IMHO.

Of course, the handling would suck but that half of the audience wouldn't care for sure. We know that Apple filed a corresponding patent a while ago.
Initial impressions:

- An interview format has to be the worst way to describe the new system!

- This isn't exactly like telescope arrays. I believe those also make use of phase data. The Light does not appear to do such.

- While high MP counts are claimed (at shorter focal lengths), I believe these would still be "small sensor" quality MP in a resolving potential perspective. So a hypothetical 50MP Light output would still arguably perform much worse than a 50MP FF sensor.

- Light gathering potential will still be relative to used sensor area, even if they gain some efficiency from using selected panchromatic detectors.

- It still uses mirrors! Even if not in a SLR kind of way.

- Overall this isn't much different from what I proposed in a previous post as an early step in computational photography.

- I'm not clear on the "variable exposure" part. Does that might mean different exposure durations for a single output?

To sum up, yes, this could give you excellent image quality potential for a mobile device form factor. It may finally kill off the surviving niches of compact cameras, that is the "big" sensor compact, and maybe also the travelzoom compact if they can squeeze more zoom out of it. It could also kill off the low end of anything APS-C sensor and smaller. As it is currently described, I can't see it taking over FF sensor territory in a mobile phone format. The talk about tablet sized arrays opens more potential, but we're hardly talking about small devices there.

The quote was "in ten years' time I can tell you, there will be no more full-frame DSLR's". Depending on your level of optimism for mirrorless replacing DSLRs, that might be the case anyway even without the existence of the Light. Based on today's existing products, at least Sony and Leica can rest at ease Smile

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
It all sounds good, but I don't thing Light is after changing the DSLR market. They are preparing to cash out their shares down the road, if some of the big players wants their intelectual property.

Sounds a little early to be saying Goodbye, but I suppose I'd better say it now before the queues start to form!

Goodbye!

He's right. Because we all abandoned our DSLRs for Lytro  Wink

Quote:Let's face it - when looking at the demographics, the sweet spot is in the age group around 45. Half of the people aren't overly technology-affine thus they will stick to the stuff they always used (thus mostly DSLRs).
The digital still picture hype is over.

let's face it -  the young generation grabs the smartphone the old one are taking those bulky SLRs. No wonder that sells are dropped.

The video camera segment got some new life with Action camera - e.g. GoPro.
The advance of technology has always sorted out the "wants" from the "needs". Once things get "good enough", you stop looking for more performance, and usually cost becomes more important, with other factors like size and weight contributing also. In my opinion, what cameraphones have done is separate out those who didn't really need more camera in the first place. If their capability increases, they might take more of that, but it will be hard to get around the fact that more sensor or lens will generally give you more photons to play with, if you really need them.

I have to wonder how big a niche action cameras are... GoPro is the name in the space, and no one else seems to have made much of an impact trying to join in. I guess you can draw comparisons with stills there, in that dominant player(s) once established are hard to move aside, unless something radical happens.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.