Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 announced
 (Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony FE)

http://www.zyoptics.net/product/mitakon-...ens-dream/
Gee... the magic 1.2 numbers strike again! I can imagine the ultrafast lens aficionados will be all over this. However, if I am to judge by the performance of the Mitakon 35/2, we should not be expecting miracles. Of course, the 35/2 is a bargain bin lens while this one is not, so the jury is out on this one... I trust his honor mr. Schroiff will eventually help us with the definite verdict... Smile

With the lens being available for the narrow F-mount, I bet the amount of light lost will be high, and the mechanical vignetting too. The lens does not seem to render very nicely (muddy bokeh):

http://photorumors.com/2015/04/15/is-thi...rame-lens/

I find nothing objectionable there.  Huh

One day one of these manufacturers will put AF into their lens range, and they will be the one to follow, until then, another "could be a smash hit lens" will be an also ran!

Quote:Gee... the magic 1.2 numbers strike again! I can imagine the ultrafast lens aficionados will be all over this. However, if I am to judge by the performance of the Mitakon 35/2, we should not be expecting miracles. Of course, the 35/2 is a bargain bin lens while this one is not, so the jury is out on this one... I trust his honor mr. Schroiff will eventually help us with the definite verdict... Smile

Mr Schroiff is currently testing a 5* f/1.2 lens... But not this one. ;-)
An 85/1.2 is possible in the throat of F mount but not without lots of vignetting.  The double-Gauss form has about 92% vignetting (100% -> 50% -> 25% -> 12.5% -> 6.25% illumination) or so with a rear element diameter of 40mm.  That's about 4 stops.  Size it up to 44mm and you're looking at more like 80% vignetting. 

If it's a true 1.2 (which I doubt) it is enormously vignetted.  If it's morel like f/1.25 or even f/1.28 then it will be vignetted less.  I have actually seen real F numbers into the f/1.35 range for "f/1.2" lenses.  At faster F numbers than f/2, the aperture spec is mostly a suggestion.  E.g nikon 24/1.4 - f/1.45 instead of f/1.4.  At slower apertures it tends to be pretty exact.

Quote:Mr Schroiff is currently testing a 5* f/1.2 lens... But not this one. ;-)
Haha, I can even say which one is that for sure... the first letter is P. Big Grin

Quote:I find nothing objectionable there.  Huh
It is as if the colours in the blur are being pulled apart, like you see in strong astigmatism. I don't now how to describe it better than that and the above "muddy". It is rather like a mix between what I get with the Tokina 12-24mm when using a 12mm extension tube and what I get from a simple design 3 element film projector lens I sometimes for photography(fun), the Old Delft Delfinor 140mm f1.8 with no coatings what so ever.
That lens does make smooth bokeh, but with an odd "muddy" quality (besides the horrid CA).

Maybe it is just the quality of the small samples, and future samples will show this lens to render without (that) problem.
Astigmatism is a monochromatic aberration.  It doesn't vary with color and doesn't impact colors at all, actually.  The aberrations that result in out of focus bits separating colors are axial chromatic aberration (90% of the time) and spherochromatism (10% of the time).