Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Samyang 100mm f/2.8 MACRO (and a T3.1 CINE)
Seems as if they are ready for some further disruptions ...

http://www.syopt.com/en/camera/photo-len...-MACRO.php

Yes they are. Is there a price for it?

It's easy to buy a cheaper 2nd hand 90 or 100 macro. Is there really a market for that new lens?

B&H pre-order price US$549 which puts it near enough the same as the Canon non-L equivalent which would also gain you AF. On paper spec they're also pretty similar with a MFD of 1ft giving 1x magnification. The Samyang has a more complex optical construction. If that translates to a tangible improvement in image quality remains to be seen, but in general most dedicated macro lenses are pretty good already.

At least in the Canon world, I'm don't see any compelling reason to pick it unless you want it as a MF Cine lens. Ok, to be fair you don't really need AF so much on macro, but still other AF lenses might keep the door open for more distant uses.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Well, AF isn't THAT useful at macro distances.

I could well imagine that the Samyang is "better" than the Canons from f/4 onward.

I didn't write earlier as I needed to check how comparable they were, but now I have it does appear the MTF chart for the Samyang is "better" wide open than the Canon non-L.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:It's easy to buy a cheaper 2nd hand 90 or 100 macro. Is there really a market for that new lens?
Exactly, my Sigma 105mm 2.8 is a great lens, sharp,sharp,sharp, I bought it S/H for 220 euros.

Quote:Well, AF isn't THAT useful at macro distances.

It depends what your shooting, if it's flying critters AF is sometimes the difference between getting the shot and your subject having buzzed off!

A tuff call finding customers here,

The "macro juggling syndrome" is for small apertures for DOF, high shutter speed to freeze the action and hand shake, lowest ISO to keep down noise, most macro is done at small apertures, so sharpness is often limited by refraction.

The Samyang is big, not cheap, no AF, no stabilization, manual from the body except Nikon (and maybe Pentax) and it's up against top flight competition from all sides many of which are on the S/H market for half that money. 

A few macro shooters will  still be operating within the remaining parameters but as automations can be switched off anyway, I see no advantage committing oneself to all manual!

And it sports a red ring.

The old Sigma is actually the least sharp/contrasty macrolens in that range (still an OK lens though).

Quote:Well, AF isn't THAT useful at macro distances.

I could well imagine that the Samyang is "better" than the Canons from f/4 onward.

Most of the macro lenses are already "very good" in the F5,6 to F11 range.

Even without AF, Samyang should at least provide electronic contacts for EXIF info.
I think it's a D.O.A.