Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax up the game with a newly announced DSLR.
Sit down and pour yourself a stiff drink guys, your going to need one!

Pentax has finally pulled it's head out the sand and has announced  at CES, a new, IMO, handsome APSc DSLR with (drumrole) a fully articulated screen and (trumpet fanfare) built in WiFi, and  (orchestral crescendo)  a new collapsible 18-50mm silent drive kit lens, all in one wild earth shattering swipe!

Le voilà:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pen...-2015.html

This is such a welcome relief after the K-S1 flashing light fiasco, (I thought they'd lost the plot)          

Well done Pentax!

Dave, I disagree with K-S1 being a fiasco; it just wasn't made for us, and in our eyes it had to compete against a heavily discounted K-50. The few LEDs which can be deactivated aren't such a big deal.

But indeed, this new camera is more like it. And it includes some K-S1 elements (the green/red light around the shutter release... quite ingenious).

While the K-S1 is an entry level aimed at beginners which might get scared away by a classic DSLR (thus, the interface) this is a true K-50 replacement. Weather resistant (at least the lens is), dual wheel interface...

Quote:Dave, I disagree with K-S1 being a fiasco; it just wasn't made for us, and in our eyes it had to compete against a heavily discounted K-50. The few LEDs which can be deactivated aren't such a big deal.

But indeed, this new camera is more like it. And it includes some K-S1 elements (the green/red light around the shutter release... quite ingenious).

While the K-S1 is an entry level aimed at beginners which might get scared away by a classic DSLR (thus, the interface) this is a true K-50 replacement. Weather resistant (at least the lens is), dual wheel interface...
  It's true that the K-S1 is OK and it is OK!, but it's perception by all "but" the Asian market was that it was a "novelty" and novelties don't bolster the perception of a good camera manufacturer, it could have done so much more when so much more was needed to be done and bring it in line with the feature set of the competition, especially at it's price point!   How much good does it do to the perception of Pentax when "The Camera Store" announce it as their worst camera of the year to all the world?  adding, while rolling around laughing, who the hell is buying these things?  embarrassing,  ( I couldn't go out for weeks Tongue )

In short the K-S1 should not have been launched as it did more harm than good, however I think this new model may well do enough to make the memory of the K-S1 fade unmemorably into the past along with the K01.

BTW, it was priced at considerably more than the K50 which was even more than the K500, at that price-point it was poorly disguised as an entry level DSLR! 
With an attitude like that, does anyone wonder why they can't sell Pentax cameras? Really... the problem isn't with K-S1, but with the clowns "reviewing" it.

Price is the easiest thing to "fix"; and the K-S1 was announced with the same price as the Canon SL1.

Quote:  

In short the K-S1 should not have been launched as it did more harm than good, however I think this new model may well do enough to make the memory of the K-S1 fade unmemorably into the past along with the K01.

Easy there with the mud-slinging buckaroo!  My K-01 is awesome in many ways, do not talk about that which you know not.

[Image: IMGP0017%25201200p.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0016%25201200p.jpg]

[Image: IMGP6960%25201200px.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0013%25201200p.jpg]

[Image: IMGP00151%25201200p.jpg]
The problem remains - what is the unique selling point of the thing ? The lens ?

But yes, it is good that Pentax is alive.

Just to mention - I will revive the Pentax tests once the pancake zoom lens is out.

Err!!   Here's mine!  Looks like we both have one,    I/we know that it's a good camera, but nobody will ever know if it was good business!  I must admit you got some very fine lenses on your K01! The Zeiss and the two Voigtlanders look absolutely fabulous! 

The Revuenon 28mm F2.8 is also decent especially for the 20 euros I paid for it!

Looking at your pristine example I guess I better give mine a clean! Big Grin

It's about time they added an articulated screen, too bad they chose the worst design (side hinge). At least selfie-shooters will be happy...

Side hinge is the best. It will allow for every direction of movement you want, and yes, including being visible from the front. Not sure why you say it is worst?