Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lens of the year - by PZ readers
Your choice ... (just a selection - the poll cannot hold more than 20 items)

I'll tell you right up front what my lens of the year choice is, and it's the """Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 HSM OS Sport""",  which is not available in the Pentax mount, but I'm suffering from a lack of genuine sharpness from my screw drive Bigma  at the long end to the point where I'm keeping track of the price of the Nikon D7100, in every other focal length I am adequately served!

No-one has tested the Pentax DA 18-85mm yet (the ball's in your court Klaus) so we cannot tell as to it's qualities, but I don't see it getting any Oscars (or many votes) .

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 should  be the most eligible as it seriously beat the pants off the Otus 55mm in my star wars battle post, the latters lack of AF is just too much of a limitation fully open ( n'est pas Jolu?)  but the 50mm FL is just too yawnable, but my guess is it will get the nod anyway!

So in this time of a lack of decent affordable sharp long telephoto zooms the Sigma steps in timely to save the day!

P.S.The Tamron 150-600 warranted  being on the list as well.

There're a couple more lenses (Zeiss Loxia, Canon 400/4DO, Nikkor 400/2.8) but as mentioned - the poll can manage 20 items max.

Tamron 150-600

Not only the Tamron 150-600mm should be on the list (a real break through lens in specs and price and even performance), I am missing the Canon 10-18mm IS STM which is a breakthrough lens also, regarding its IS and very low price (and pretty good optics).

Quite a few of "meh" lenses on the list instead...

Quote:Not only the Tamron 150-600mm should be on the list (a real break through lens in specs and price and even performance), I am missing the Canon 10-18mm IS STM which is a breakthrough lens also, regarding its IS and very low price (and pretty good optics).

Quite a few of "meh" lenses on the list instead...
Concur that for the Canon "a rabbit out of the hat trick"!
I would've voted for the Tamron 150-600, but it's not on the list. Part of me wanted to give the vote to the Canon 16-35/4 IS but then I realized that the lens of the year has to have a broader appeal. So, after much hesitation, my vote went to the Sigma 50/1.4 ART. It's unlikely that I'll be getting one, but I think as a Sigma lens, a fast AF normal to boot, it holds the broadest appeal of all the SLR options. Mirrorless is a dark untamed wood for me, so I would really be confused if I had to choose among the lenses of that stable. Otus 85, while no doubt a wonderful unit, is in a razor thin niche, though I can gladly accept the fact that it's the best technical performer in the list... and it's MF. Smile

Tough call Smile  I voted for the Sigma 50 Art, despite the first impulse to vote for the Otus 85mm, as it is Sigma that producing the 35 and 50 Art lenses made a louder statement, considering the quality-price ralation..   Now if they would only follow up with an 85 Art lens.. Smile 

B&H's Notable Lenses of 2014:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/phot...14?BI=4906

I've wanted a 135 STF since the Minolta days. That another manufacturer is making an APD lens without question gets my vote!