Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some new lenses in da lab
- Tamron 150-600mm VC ... what a monster. Surprisingly well built by Tammy standards

- Olympus 25mm f/1.8 

- Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ ... very cute

However, the Zeiss E 16-70mm is next.

As mentioned I will be slower than usual because of the portal update.

Hopefully Markus will kick in with some Nikon tests in the meanwhile.

Kool, thanks for da news Klaus.

I'm seriously considering a move from Pentax to u4/3, so have been going through the u4/3 products reviews recently.

The Olympus 25/1.8 seems better than it's sibling 17/1.8 from what I have seen elsewhere.

The Olympus 14-42 EZ is cute; any plans for it's cross-town rival the tiny Panasonic 12-32 ?

Also, any chance of the newest Panasonic 14-140 coming in for testing in the near future?  It's faster (brighter) and lighter (weight) than the model it replaces.

I already tested the Pana 12-32mm :-)

So far the Pana 14-42mm PZ is king of the dwarfs.

Conceptually the Oly is similar.

I should be able to show some pictures after this weekend.

Actually I really like the 17/1.8 quite a bit whereas the 25 feels odd to me.
Quote:- Tamron 150-600mm VC ... what a monster. Surprisingly well built by Tammy standards

- Olympus 25mm f/1.8 

- Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ ... very cute

Oh cool - some Olympus lenses.
enjoy
Quote:I already tested the Pana 12-32mm :-)

Is that a comment on the build, the field of view or an early assessment of its optical properties? -ta-
enjoy
Well, just a comment based on the paper specs - a "50mm f/3.6" is not really meaningful IMHO.

Quote:I already tested the Pana 12-32mm :-)

re: 12-32

Ha ha haa, whooops.   :unsure:
 My experiance.

1. Tamrons are the lenses that survived longest in my hands
  2. Few canon that I had are next
  3. Sigma EXs. I should put them at 3-thplace – They breaks but with a little technical knowledge, tools and care can be repaired at home.
  4. The worse is Tokina. – Most tokinas have mechanical problems. At least 12-24 first version and 100macro suffer from it. Result is broken flex PCB. Mechanical engineers have done great job but without communicating with electrical engineers. The result is mechanical disaster inside of the lens.
I wonder what the experience of other PZ members is.

PS: I don’t put any pressure or doubt at PZ reviews. Reviews have never matched the reality. For example the tons of car reviews have never matched ADAC report. My question is to see the real life experience of other PZ members.
I am wondering what you are doing to your lenses that they break down so often. :-)

Of course, we can't judge the long term durability in our reviews. We can only comment on the mechanical construction out of the box. However, and that's where Tammys were not the best, the centering is usually worse than the (true) average. Part of the reason for this is also the higher than usual use of plastics in our opinion. Of course, this is no reason per se. e.g. Tokinas use much more metal yet their centering is often worse - which probably relates more to sloppy assembly.

Nice that the atmosphere's cleaner & the apartment's expanded down there in Gordon now (still?)....anyhow, to have a balanced viewpoint between monster and midget, will it be possible to have a look at that Tammy with, say, one of those sweet little 100D's (SL1) hanging onto its rear end. Ta.