Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutter count
I can never remember how to work this out in Photoshop but I stumbled upon in Dropbox that for Nikon cameras at least it gives this to you.

However, you need an iPad (it might also work on Android). You select the image in Dropbox and at the bottom of the screen there is an i with a circle around it. Click that and you get a whole bunch of stuff. (It doesn't give you the shutter count in Dropbox on a Mac, however)

It has the standard information such as aperture, shutter speed and so on, but apart from the very useful shutter count you also get the camera's serial number.

For some reason though it doesn't give shutter count details for my Fujifilm XQ2. Only for Nikon bodies thus far.

As a side note, why do all cameras reset the file number back to 1 when it gets past 9999?

It's seriously annoying as I've had conflicts in LR if I forget to name my folders to say D800A then D800B and so on.

On a Mac, all you need for the shutter count of Nikon cameras is the Preview application that is part of macOS. Just open a JPG or NEF with it, hit CMD-i (for Info-window) and you have all that information there, too. Including the camera's serial number and its shutter count.

Editor
opticallimits.com

[Image: dknow23x18.gif]

Not anymore, Markus. I thought so, too, but two serial numbers on display, just no shutter count.

You know these gameboys calling themselves programmers at Apple? Actually I doubt they know what a shutter count is.

[Image: keeks34x21.gif]

I just checked with NEFs from D3x and D7200. Preview in High Sierra shows serial number and shutter count for both.

Which one did you try? A D850 file? If it doesn't show shutter count for those, it might not be Apple's fault. It's just another data set in the exif, if Nikon decided to not include this info anymore (or encrypts it), that's not Apple's fault...

Editor
opticallimits.com

OK, got it Marcus.

I did read about Command I in another forum but I had mistakenly thought that it was with Finder. Command-I in Finder has some info is missing.

So, it's first open file in Preview and then Command I (as you said).

Any idea what is the difference between Aperture Value and Fstop?

In the file attached, Aperture Value is 4.9 but Fstop is 5.6?

Maybe I need some help: In Studor13's screenshot I foudn n shuttercount  info. I'm pretty sure I also checked other JPGs / RAWs from various cameras, but never found a shutter count.

Besides, which brainless idiot at Apple formats a table right / left centerred? It's nearly impossible to find a specific value  :angry:

I think that Image number in my attached file is the shutter count. It's below White Balance.

Also, for my Fujifilm XQ2 there is no shutter count. I also don't know why Fuji's file numbering system seems to jump around all over the place. 

Clever Studor! I'm/ was apparently too blindly looking for shutter count... thanks, now I like to re-check. That kind of blind spots do happen to me in this kind of right / left orientation in a table, imo it's the best an author can do if he absolutely doesn't want to help the reader. Deadly sin in technical communication.

When using OOC JPGs (or NEFs) there should also be a "Nikon" tab in the info window, right next to EXIF. In there is a value with the number of actuations (maybe even called "shutter count", it's "Verschlussanzahl" in my German macOS, looks like a literal translation Wink )

But yes, it seems to be the same value as "image number", at least for the two cameras I tested.

Btw: my D7200 is already at 9475, the D3x is approaching retirement with a shutter count of currently 127778 Smile

Editor
opticallimits.com

The Nikon and Fuji tabs I found. German translations of the entries? Maybe, I found English as well, depending on the app I looked into.