Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A6000 first impressions
It just came in thus I can't comment too much on it yet.

- it's noticeable bigger than the NEX7. Of course, not too much but it's slightly surprising that the Sony didn't manage to match the much older camera in this respect.

- AF - I remember the discussion where I was rather heavily criticized regarding my statements about modern (PD AF) mirrorless cameras. The A6000 may have a very fast AF in daylight but in low light it can't match a modern DSLR - the difference is still substantial really. To be fair, it "feels" maybe twice as fast as on the X-T1 although I'm not so sure whether it's any better than MFT in such situations.  A DSLR is still at least 2-3x times faster in low light I'd say. Note: I do not care personally - I have no need for an ultra-fast AF in low light.

- The control layout feels conventional - no obstacles. I like it a bit more than on the NEX7 actually.

- The viewfinder is a shadow of the Fuji X-T1 but still better than expect given the low pixel count here.

- Build quality is just fine. No complaints.

No idea about IQ yet.

so far ...

Now, if Sony would actually release a proper lens lineup instead of releasing new bodies every other week, that would be something...

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Yeah, AF is still dominated by DSLRs!

So what lenses are you looking to mount on it?  

In ordinary use how do you find this viewfinder given it's lower resolution?  surely it can't match a decent APSc optical variety.  I'm not sure I'm ready for an EVF until the next generation!

On the AF speed, how low is low light? Say, typical home indoor lighting at night?

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Living room, one indirect light (make it 60W equivalent at the time) was on. The targets had a distance of 2-5m from the lamp.

I used the Z1670 which isn't terribly fast admittedly. However, at the end of the day the system performance is all that counts and this is the best Sony got in the standard range.

Quote:Living room, one indirect light (make it 60W equivalent at the time) was on. The targets had a distance of 2-5m from the lamp.

I used the Z1670 which isn't terribly fast admittedly. However, at the end of the day the system performance is all that counts and this is the best Sony got in the standard range.
Looking forward to the Z1670 review.  The SLRgear review seems to show quite a bit of decentering at the longer end.
Quote:it can't match a decent APSc optical variety.  I'm not sure I'm ready for an EVF until the next generation!

The EVF of the NEX-6/7 is pretty good actually, far better than the dim peepholes the APS-C entry level stuff offers. Haven´t tested the A6000 though.