Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German bokeh beauty
http://www.handevision.de/en/lenses/40-mm-0-85/

Nom the highlights are not the nicest. But the rest of the bokeh looks pretty nice...

Given the pricetag they put on this lens, and given this

is just a manual focus and manual aperture lens and

also regarding the very high weight, I ask myself why one

would chose this lens over a VF + 50/1.4 or 85/1.8

just my 2cts...Rainer

Quote:Given the pricetag they put on this lens, and given this

is just a manual focus and manual aperture lens and

also regarding the very high weight, I ask myself why one

would chose this lens over a VF + 50/1.4 or 85/1.8

just my 2cts...Rainer
Three reasons I can think of.

1. There is no 85mm f1.8 with AF which renders that smoothly
  2. 40 x 1.5 = 60mm, 40 x 1.6 = 64mm. One can't get a similar FOV with 50mm or 85mm lenses, not on FF or on APS-C.
  3. f0.85 x 1.5 = f1.28, 0.85 x 1.6 = f1.36. There are no other 60mm or 64 lenses which will offer such shallow DOF even on FF. Well, of course there is the Nikkot 58mm f1.4 which comes a little close, but that is as expensive a lens, and without any reason. And it is not very sharp.
Personally, I am not yet convinced that 40mm on APS-C is a nice focal length to have. So, right now I do not view it as an interesting lens, FOV wise, for me. But who knows, if I actually had a 40mm on APS-C I might discover it is a FOV for me. Its bokeh, that is something interesting for me.

But that is just me, others may find this lens super interesting, and I will respect that. I like how it renders the images.

Quote:
  2. 40 x 1.5 = 60mm, 40 x 1.6 = 64mm. One can't get a similar FOV with 50mm or 85mm lenses, not on FF or on APS-C.
  3. f0.85 x 1.5 = f1.28, 0.85 x 1.6 = f1.36. There are no other 60mm or 64 lenses which will offer such shallow DOF even on FF. Well, of course there is the Nikkot 58mm f1.4 which comes a little close, but that is as expensive a lens, and without any reason. And it is not very sharp.

Well ... obviously this is a quite personal matter of taste ...

To #1 ... I don't think, the sample images in the linked page are enough to

judge this leses bokeh .... and personally I also don's see so far it is any

better than a Canon 85/1.8.

To #2 ... well how near is "good enough"? ... photography is about the

exact millimeter of focal length for some of us ... for others it is not.

To #3 ... If you compare the Canon 85/1.2 @ 1.4 and the Sigma 85/1.4 @ 1.4

you would expect a very similar bokeh ... but (whereever it comes from) ...

the bokeh of the Canon is significantly smoother. So, the comparsion of pure

number might just not be good enough.

Ok ... thats all to this topic from my side ... I'm out ... Rainer

Looks of course absolutely beautifully constructed and very lovely images, I couldn't find the price, I would like to know how much money I've saved by not buying one!

Quote:Well ... obviously this is a quite personal matter of taste ...

To #1 ... I don't think, the sample images in the linked page are enough to

judge this leses bokeh .... and personally I also don's see so far it is any

better than a Canon 85/1.8.

To #2 ... well how near is "good enough"? ... photography is about the

exact millimeter of focal length for some of us ... for others it is not.

To #3 ... If you compare the Canon 85/1.2 @ 1.4 and the Sigma 85/1.4 @ 1.4

you would expect a very similar bokeh ... but (whereever it comes from) ...

the bokeh of the Canon is significantly smoother. So, the comparsion of pure

number might just not be good enough.

Ok ... thats all to this topic from my side ... I'm out ... Rainer
The Canon EF 85mm f1.2 L USM (II) does not have particularly smooth bokeh. The odd thing is, that it has way more blur than the Sigma. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is way closer to the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM blur wise, than the Sigma figure (f1.4) would suggest.
Quote:    Looks of course absolutely beautifully constructed and very lovely images, I couldn't find the price, I would like to know how much money I've saved by not buying one!
Quite a lot you have saved:

recommended retail price of 1799 €
We've probably reached a point of diminishing returns.

It looks like a nice lens but I have doubts that I will ever upgrade my Nikkor 105mm f2 DC which I paid 700 eur for to get "better" bokeh.

As a side note, even the 300 eur 50mm AFS f1.4 has pleasant enough bokeh.

Don't get what you mean by "One can't get a similar FOV with 50mm". Are you serious?

I mean, how many people can tell the difference between 64m and 50mm? And on a D800 I can put it into 1.3 crop which is pretty close to 64mm or thereabouts.

Quote:We've probably reached a point of diminishing returns.

It looks like a nice lens but I have doubts that I will ever upgrade my Nikkor 105mm f2 DC which I paid 700 eur for to get "better" bokeh.

As a side note, even the 300 eur 50mm AFS f1.4 has pleasant enough bokeh.

Don't get what you mean by "One can't get a similar FOV with 50mm". Are you serious?

I mean, how many people can tell the difference between 64m and 50mm? And on a D800 I can put it into 1.3 crop which is pretty close to 64mm or thereabouts.
The 50mm f1.4 does not have pleasant bokeh.

Yes, i am serious. I am talking from a photographers view point, not a "i don't know the scene so i can't tell the FOV exactly" audience standpoint.
Quote:Three reasons I can think of.

Personally, I am not yet convinced that 40mm on APS-C is a nice focal length to have. So, right now I do not view it as an interesting lens, FOV wise, for me. But who knows, if I actually had a 40mm on APS-C I might discover it is a FOV for me. Its bokeh, that is something interesting for me.

But that is just me, others may find this lens super interesting, and I will respect that. I like how it renders the images.

There are a few vintage 55/1.2 & 58/1.2 that offer similar FOV & DOF and are built like rocks.

I have a Minolta MC 58/1.2 that costed me around 300€ and is much smaller.