Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR
Quote:HI Joju,
Just wanted to ask what this feature does and how useful it is...should i just ignore it.
Ok, got it.

Quote:With 'artists' i meant to say, photographers have always found a workaround for these small things.
My switch has nothing to do with DR. Which is a good thing for post processing. It was to do with other factors like usability, handling, lack of the lenses i need, missed shots due to unsure focussing...basically i was fighting with my camera all the time.
Understood. In my eyes, Nikon sofwtare-engineers could learn a lot of the Apple way of software-design to the needs of the user instead of the thinking of engineers. It means a lot if the camera doesn't hinder you when setting up. To me, the Nikon menus do have too much branches and not enough clarity.

Quote:These things are much more important than DR to me.
Landscape shooters can bracket their shots...they have all the time in the world.
When the light gets in "drama-mode" it's changing quickly - not good for HDR bracketing
When it's very windy (drama mode again) you even get in landscapes (with trees, grass, waves on water) too much blurr. Especially in high resolution, big prints.
Also, I hate to fool around with more exposures that I feel it needs for the final result.

And what to do in portrait, theatre, concerts? I don't want to talk you away, but those serial-shot techniques like focus-stacking or bracketing are come with some disadvantages I'm no big fan of.

Quote:I am sure its good while shooting as you don't get blinkies that often, and good in post processing...some people do HDR stuff and i am sure they have a use for it. But in my experience i need to crunch the DR to get more contrast while printing or making final image...in 100% cases. You can't make flat pictures.
Yesterday 12 stops were great, today 14 stops are great. A7s is bringing more than 15 stops of DR.
Question is, what you do with that.
Putting it in good looking tech-data tables, making comparisons and what else...

To me, I can correct the forgotten "-1.7 ev" exposure value. I can make people visible who were standing in the dark. I can make pale faces looking healthy again. I'll try to put some samples onto my galleries of "normal" DR and "manipulated" DR, perhaps my posiiton gets a bit clearer afterwards.

Messages In This Thread
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Highlight tone priority and DPP vs. LR - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM