Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrorless vs DSLR AF & sports
Interesting shootout ...

http://youtu.be/up8K_xd_iwU

I am not all that surprised that the Fuji came out last actually. I'd say that this isn't really camera-related but the lens motor seems to be the limiting factor.

Other than that I am slightly wondering how this comparison would work out in an environment with substantially less light - say an in-room sports arena.

Not bad for technology, which was introduced not too long ago. I am surprised they did not include Samsung in this. I haven't used Fuji, but I would agree: when speed matters the lenses and the camera has to have it.

I know mirrorless has been closing the gap for a while, but it is still hard for me to get a feel for how close they are. The blackout comment also concerns me a little. Would also be nice if they threw in the Nikon 1 also.

In my usage case, things may be more difficult for the camera and may show up more weaknesses than their test. It would be interesting to see, for example, a 70-300mm f/?-5.6 lens on APS-C or equivalent and shooting birds in flight with a detailed (confusing) background. Even DSLRs can struggle here.

Do Sony/Fuji even have native 300mm class zoom lenses yet?

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Not bad for technology, which was introduced not too long ago. I am surprised they did not include Samsung in this. I haven't used Fuji, but I would agree: when speed matters the lenses and the camera has to have it.

Well, Samsung's global marketshare is hard to quantify by numbers. Sub 0.5% probably.
Quote: 

Do Sony/Fuji even have native 300mm class zoom lenses yet?

Not yet. Fuji will release a 120-400mm later this year.
Foto Magazin had an AF test with a moving car under relatively controlled conditions in the August 2013 edition (they have done a similar test in 2008, I have it laying around somewhere).

Tested the number of shots in focus and the percentage of shots in focus, with central AF point and over a set period of time (multiple runs).

Short summary (number of in focus shots | percentage of in focus shots):

• Canon 1D-X: 25.6 | 71%
  • Canon 7D: 10.7 | 63%
  • Nikon D4: 18 | 72%
  • Nikon D7100: 8 | 47%
  • Nikon 1 V2: 42.8 | 91%
  • Olympus OM-D E-M5: 6.8 | 38% *
  • Panasonic Lumix G6: 8.6 | 57%
  • Pentax K-5 II: 7.7 | 48%
  • Samsung NX300: 9 | 56%
  • Sony SLT-A99: 5 | 33%
  • Sony SLT-A77: 1.6 | 9%
  • Sony Nex-6: 3.5 | 32%
* They stated that during the test runs they noticed a fault with the Olympus. They stated they did some tests afterwards with another sample, but that the results cant be directly compared so it fell out of the comparison. They do not say if they feel the camera would score better, in their opinion, or not.

Thanks for posting that, BC. Nikon 1 V2 appears surprisingly successful. So, their prices are justified a bit better, good to know.
Quote:Thanks for posting that, BC. Nikon 1 V2 appears surprisingly successful. So, their prices are justified a bit better, good to know.
Yeah, for tracking in good light it does very, very good.of course, I can't tell how much of an advantage it has DOF wise compared to for instance the 1D-X and D4 when judging in focus. But if you do not need such blurred backgrounds, it really does not matter.

By the way, they lenses they used:

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II
  2. Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II
  3. Nikon 1 Nikkor 10-100mm f4-5.6 VR
  4. Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II
  5. Panasonic G X Vario 35-100mm f2.8 OIS
  6. Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 SDM
  7. Sony 70-200mm f2.8 APO G SSM
  8. Sony E 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 OSS LE
Well, with a 2.7× crop camera there's not much to be expected for blurred backgrounds. Maybe with adapted f/1.4 lenses, but then it's another question if the AF is precise and fast enough for them.

I'm just interested because a friend got a Sony ILCE 6000* to get some birds in flight. And she was mentioning the high burst rate of that camera. 20 fps of the Nikon are definitely higher and I was misinformed because I thought the 1 V3 is very expensive.

Now I rechecked and with the WiFi + touch-/swivelscreen + high burst rate + optional adapter to her Nikon lenses it's still no bargain, but affordable. I think, I need to ask her why she went for the Sony. Thanks for posting the lenses, too. I do have a bit of doubts if the camera is as fast with the optional Nikkor-adapter.

But now my attention is awake.

* just corrected NEX against ILCE

Is it fair to compare the 75-300/18-200 with those other lenses ? Well I guess in the case of olympus maybe it doesn't matter much but certainly some of the lenses have premium (stronger) motors than others.