Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test results on resolution
For sure because I'm a neophyte, I'm very confused about some test-results: the Nikons AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G ED vs. AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR (for example). In the latter category I can cite as well the AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR. Of course we're looking at VERY different lenses, but is the resolution (second page) realy that different or aren't we looking at the same way to represent the test-data? Thanks!

Per different sensor (so, per different camera body model) used for the test, the numbers will be different.

Did you per chance compare test done on different cameras?

Quote:For sure because I'm a neophyte, I'm very confused about some test-results: the Nikons AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G ED vs. AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR (for example). In the latter category I can cite as well the AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR. Of course we're looking at VERY different lenses, but is the resolution (second page) realy that different or aren't we looking at the same way to represent the test-data? Thanks!

The 18-200 II and 70-200/4 were tested on the same camera so the results are directly comparable.

The 18-200 I was tested on the old D200. The numbers are therefore very different. However, when you ignore the numbers and just look at the charts this is still a good estimation. There's a scaling effect when moving to higher resolution sensors.