Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony a7 or a7R & which lens?
Need advice.

My present setup is Nikon D600 + 24-70mm/f1.8 lens. which I use mainly for travel photography.

I like to change to a lighter and more portable setup wiithout losing the joy of photography.

I am considering between Sony a7 & a7R

which lens would you recommend for

1) walkabout and portraits - (will use most of the time)

i) many have recommended FF55mm/1.8

ii) any other choice?

2) UWA lens  (will use 20% of the time)

3) Macro  (hardly use)

Prefers E mount

I do not have a fix budget but do not mind 3rd party lens if it value for money

Well, there are only these 3-4 Sony/Zeiss lenses in native E-mount ...

The only other options are A-mount lenses via adapter. There are a couple of gems here for sure (Zeiss 85, Zeiss 135, Sony 135 STF).

Honestly speaking I am not sure about the value prop of a full format mirrorless camera. The lenses are just as big as for DSLRs.

Have you considered Fuji ?

Quote:Need advice.

My present setup is Nikon D600 + 24-70mm/f1.8 lens. which I use mainly for travel photography. 
Sell that lens and get rich Wink

So you only have a 24-70mm f2.8? Its big and heavy, but covers 24 to 70mm.

Quote:I like to change to a lighter and more portable setup wiithout losing the joy of photography.
Then the obvious question will have to be asked... What gives you the joy of photography?

Quote:I am considering between Sony a7 & a7R

which lens would you recommend for

1) walkabout and portraits - (will use most of the time)

i) many have recommended FF55mm/1.8
That is only a standard prime. Not the most ideal focal length for portraits. A 35mm lens is more practical as single walk about lens, a 85mm lens will be nicer for portraits.

Quote:     ii) any other choice?

2) UWA lens  (will use 20% of the time)
I don't know of any UWA available for these cameras at the moment,

Quote:3) Macro  (hardly use)
You can get some extension tubes (there must be some manufacturer offering them) and use that 55mm for macro stuff.

Quote:Prefers E mount

I do not have a fix budget but do not mind 3rd party lens if it value for money
I don't think there are any FE mount 3rd party lenses.

I know the D600 is a bit bigger than my 6D, but it is not a HUGE camera though... Would getting the Nikkor 18-35mm VR for UWA, Voigtlander 40mm f2 for walk about (manual focus) and Nikkor 85mm f1.8 for portraits not make a better travel setup than the 24-70mm f2.8 you are using at the moment, already?

Like Klaus suggests, APS-C and MFT mirrorless seems to be a better idea than FF mirrorless. The new Funji looks to be a nice camera...

To put it another way, what do you gain from FF over APS-C? FF only really gains you the possibility of more shallow DOF, really. And possibly a higher resolution (so bigger print sizes... But if one does not do very big prints...).

To each his own. I cannot see M43 as anything much better than the 1 inch sensor cameras, unless a miracle happens in sensor design it is going nowhere very slowly. APS-C iis a valid choice for certain purposes as much as FF is for others, and  has reasonible performance but using the same technology then FF will be better. It just depends on where your prefered performance is.

The A7 or A7r with the 24-70 / 4.0 is very different to a Canon EOS 5D with 24-70 / 2.8 or a Nikon 800E with the 24-70 / 2.8.

F 4.0 is quite enough for me thank you.

Quote:To each his own. I cannot see M43 as anything much better than the 1 inch sensor cameras, unless a miracle happens in sensor design it is going nowhere very slowly.
If you use equivalent f-values (read: similar aperture size with similar DOF), MFT is not very much different than what you get with FF. So, if you use f8 on FF, use f4 on MTF. Like I said, FF has a shallow DOF advantage as its main advantage...

Quote:APS-C iis a valid choice for certain purposes as much as FF is for others, and  has reasonible performance but using the same technology then FF will be better. It just depends on where your prefered performance is.

The A7 or A7r with the 24-70 / 4.0 is very different to a Canon EOS 5D with 24-70 / 2.8 or a Nikon 800E with the 24-70 / 2.8.

F 4.0 is quite enough for me thank you.
Not all that different from a Canon EOS 6D with a 24-70mm f4 L IS USM. 
another consideration is the Olympus OM-De-M1

which lens to get?
I would get APS-C Sony A6000 with CZ 16-70 f/4.

Add Sigma 30/2.8 if you need it - too cheap and too good to be skipped.

Quote:another consideration is the Olympus OM-De-M1

which lens to get?

If you decide to go the MFT route, I'd go for the following:
  • Body: Olympus OMD E-M10: great value considering its specs (and very compact).
  • UWA: Olympus 9-18 f4-5.6: very tiny while great focal range; slow but it shouldn't matter for landscapes anyway
  • Portrait: Olympus 45 f1.8: great value and excellent IQ wide-open
  • Walk-about: Olympus 17 f1.8
Alternatively, if 24mm (FF equivalent) is wide enough and you don't need much speed, you could hit 2 birds with 1 stone: the Panasonic 12-32 lens is extremely small while providing good IQ. The range is very convenient too: 24-64 equiv.  Throw in an Olympus 40-150 or Panasonic 45-150 and you're covered from 24 to 300mm (equiv) with a portrait lens, all in a crazy small and light package:
  • Olympus OMD E-M10 (396 grams)
  • Panasonic 12-35 f3.5-5.6 (70 grams)
  • Olympus 45 f1.8 (116 grams)
  • Olympus 40-150 f4-5.6 (190 grams)
  • Total weight: 772 grams, 130 grams lighter than your Nikkor 24-70  Tongue
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:another consideration is the Olympus OM-De-M1

which lens to get?

Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8

Panasonic 42.5mm f/0.95

Panasonic 7-14mm f/4