Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung NX30, 16-50 f/2-2.8, 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 pancake!
Howdy,

Samsung just announced 3 new products:
  • NX-30 body, DSLR-like shape with nice specs
  • 16-50 f/2-2.8 lens (yes, it's f2.0 at the wide-end!)
  • 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 pancake
Preview with photos here: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/01/...sung-nx30/

I'm quite impressed. That bright zoom seems quite impressive! It's a first in this segment.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
We have to give it to Samsung: they release interesting cameras and lenses. I have been disappointed with the quality of their electronics in other segments (I'm thinking about phones mainly), but their camera division seems to strike a good balance between quality and price. It's unfortunate that they are completely invisible in the market: they might have forced the Japanese companies to become more competitive.

In fact, they are so completely unknown that I've noticed some people on forums and blogs mention how Samsung's NX line "copied" Sony's NEX, despite the fact that Samsung released the NX10 before Sony NEX-3 and 5, and with better initial lenses. Had Sony not released their "magic" 14 and 16 megapixels sensors at the same time, it might have gone differently.

I think it is a key problem that cameras are just a side thing in the Samsung portfolio.

Technically their base situation was similar to Sony but Sony's marketing was far more aggressive straight from the start.

Samsung should have acquired Pentax to obtain a certain degree of glory - just like Sony did with Minolta.

Samsung's 20mp sensor is actually very good and not inferior to Sony's 16mp sensor.

FWIW ... the NX cameras aren't even available here in Australia ...
Quote:Howdy,

I'm quite impressed. That bright zoom seems quite impressive! It's a first in this segment.

622g for the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 is rather hefty though. But then they weren't shy of releasing a 85mm f/1.4 either.

I would consider this to be a good thing though. In terms of lenses, bigger tends to be better.
Quote:622g for the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 is rather hefty though. But then they weren't shy of releasing a 85mm f/1.4 either.

I would consider this to be a good thing though. In terms of lenses, bigger tends to be better.

Yeah it's sure a big and heavy lens.

However, they actually give users a choice: either the big, high quality and fast one and a small, slow pancake alternative.

If you want optimum IQ and don't mind the bulk go for the former. If you don't need the speed or want to travel light, you get the latter.

Very smart decision IMO.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
On the downside, this is a bit of risky path - achieving an excellent IQ is challenging based on these specs.

Try here:

http://discountcameras.com.au/discountca...msung+lens

I think it is a key problem that cameras are just a side thing in the Samsung portfolio.

Technically their base situation was similar to Sony but Sony's marketing was far more aggressive straight from the start.

Samsung should have acquired Pentax to obtain a certain degree of glory - just like Sony did with Minolta.

Samsung's 20mp sensor is actually very good and not inferior to Sony's 16mp sensor.

FWIW ... the NX cameras aren't even available here in Australia ...

Quote:On the downside, this is a bit of risky path - achieving an excellent IQ is challenging based on these specs.

Well, it will be up to you to tell us whether this lens lives up to the hype (and its denomination) ;-)  NX reviews are still in the pipeline?

Samsung has a very good track record in terms of IQ. I wouldn't be surprised if this lens featured great IQ.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:Howdy,

The best mirrorless system out there! Bravo, Samsung!
Quote:Well, it will be up to you to tell us whether this lens lives up to the hype (and its denomination) ;-)  NX reviews are still in the pipeline?

Samsung has a very good track record in terms of IQ. I wouldn't be surprised if this lens featured great IQ.

Markus is still a bit in sleeper mode but I know that he has the NX 55-200mm sitting on his desk.