Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any reason to stay away from FLM tripod?
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here. I need a tripod that’s compact enough to fit into hand luggage, and large enough to be useful. I’m a hobbyist, heaviest camera/lens combo will not exceed Nikon D800 w/ a 135mm macro. I was looking at a FLM CP30-L4S today. Any reason to stay away from that brand, or that particular model?

http://www.flm-gmbh.de/de/produkte/stati.../cp-30l4s/

Didn't know that brand, but thanks anyway for bringing to attention. Looks good, especially the leg mechanism. Appears to be less expensive than Gitzo and more than Sirui.

What I didn't like so much: After removing the center column it can go really low - but then it doesn't have contact with the ground with the rubber feet or spikes but with the clamping rings.

What I didn't like so much: After removing the center column it can go really low - but then it doesn't have contact with the ground with the rubber feet or spikes but with the clamping rings.

JoJu, good point. While I’m not planning to use the tripod at that height, this might be a concern for those who would. I was thinking of using these legs with a Feisol CB-40 ball head. 

FLM is best known and has a fairly good reputation for their ball heads. If you search for high-end ball heads with Arca style clamp mechanism, you'll definitely run into FLM eventually (along with Markins, RRS, Arca Swiss, Novoflex, etc.).

Personally, I didn't know they also build tripods. Judging from the quality of their heads, these should be high quality products.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I didn't have any experience with that brand.

In photography, a tripod is used to stabilize and elevate a camera, a flash unit, or other photographic equipment. Tripods are used for both still and motion photography to prevent camera movement. They are necessary when slow-speed exposures are being made, or when telephoto lenses are used, as any camera movement while the shutter is open will produce a blurred image. In the same vein, they reduce camera shake, and thus are instrumental in achieving maximum sharpness. A tripod is also helpful in achieving precise framing of the image, or when more than one image is being made of the same scene, for example when bracketing the exposure.

I having Proaim Carbon fiber tripod, It is very steady and lightweight, best for travelling. Price is little high but doesn't matter because of its quality.

Quote:I didn't have any experience with that brand.
In photography, a tripod is used to stabilize and elevate a camera, a flash unit, or other photographic equipment. Tripods are used for both still and motion photography to prevent camera movement. They are necessary when slow-speed exposures are being made, or when telephoto lenses are used, as any camera movement while the shutter is open will produce a blurred image. In the same vein, they reduce camera shake, and thus are instrumental in achieving maximum sharpness. A tripod is also helpful in achieving precise framing of the image, or when more than one image is being made of the same scene, for example when bracketing the exposure.
I having Proaim Carbon fiber tripod, It is very steady and lightweight, best for travelling. Price is little high but doesn't matter because of its quality.
Erik, one link to your featured Proaim Tripods would have been enough. That way you used the links appears to me as massively spam attempt, especially in a forum where most people know what a tripod is good for and also using a thread which already refers to another product.