Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preview: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A HSM DG
http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/sigma35f14canon

Yaaaawwwnn.

That lens hit the market one year ago. What keeps your fun testing after everybody tested it?  Huh

We tested it in Nikon mount quite a while ago. This is just a followup.

I didn't want to test it but it was high on the demand list in a recent poll.

Therefore I bowed to the inevitable.

Sorry, had no clue about a poll. And also no imagination that for many people a lens is only "tested", if the favorite testing service had it in their labs. I'm curious which kind of flaws somebody could found on it. Regardless of the price comparison to genuine lenses and regardless that Sigma shows how lens accessories can also look, feel and function like.

We regularly even test lenses that are already discontinued Wink

Apart from that: even if many other review sites tested a lens already, it still makes sense to test it here, too, to get results that can be compared to our other reviews here. Because, as we all know, comparability is not given across different test systems... and of course not review sites Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

It's not on me to tell others how to use their resources. I just think, if half a dozen labs already came to more or less the same conclusion, I'd use my energy for other projects. Anyway, enjoy testing.

About comparability: your testing equipment is, hmm not very contemporary. So, if I look for a lens test, I first try to find one closer to the equipment that I have to get some ideas what to expect. It's not a bad thing being the site to look for when it comes to aged lenses, nobody else does test them. But the question remains, how good those lenses still are and were maintained whilst their lifetime. Especially elder lenses can provide surprises and what does it say, if the sample you're testing is coincidentally on the excellent or on the rubbish side of tolerance?

I recall a lens test (guess it was a Sigma wide angle) where you got 3 copies to find one without centering failures. In my eyes for that alone I could not understand why you rated the lens anyway. After swing the variation of lenses at lensrentals, I'm no longer so much a believer of lens tests in general. Especially not lens tests with one sample only...
There was also a poll whether we should migrate from the 50D to 70D. The result was inconclusive.

Since the difference is technically marginal we decided to put the decision on hold till the 7D II is here.

As of the 5D II - a move towards the 5D III is meaningless.

We decided to continue with the D3x for another year in order to have an initial coverage of the broader market.

It is not possible to retest everything from scratch. There was a time when this was easier but we are seeing more lens releases than ever these days.

As for our mirrorless tests I don't see an outdated camera set. 

The Pentax and Sony DSLR tests are currently on hold because of the lack of market share. 

Quote:There was also a poll whether we should migrate from the 50D to 70D. The result was inconclusive.

Since the difference is technically marginal we decided to put the decision on hold till the 7D II is here.

As of the 5D II - a move towards the 5D III is meaningless.
….it's a personal thing of course, but the pictures i've seen from 5D3 looked much nicer than 5D2 (from the same photographer)….back in those days when i was looking

...and on a quick rental yesterday, a 70D looks nicer cleaner and sharper than my 7D….but it could be that 7D2 will be somewhat more expensive and maybe use a different sensor….and offer the ability to shoot at 75fps for those that prefer their life in slo motion….i wish  

Quote:….it's a personal thing of course, but the pictures i've seen from 5D3 looked much nicer than 5D2 (from the same photographer)….back in those days when i was looking...and on a quick rental yesterday, a 70D looks nicer cleaner and sharper than my 7D….but it could be that 7D2 will be somewhat more expensive….and maybe use a different sensor….and offer the ability to shoot at 75fps for those that prefer their life in slo motion….i wish  
Looking nicer might have more to do with better dynamic range, better noise handling, different color sensitivity and might have little effect in detail capture, what PZ is mostly focused on? Even sharpness might just be better due to a better AF accuracy ;-).

Just my 2 cents
Quote:Looking nicer might have more to do with better dynamic range, better noise handling, different color sensitivity and might have little effect in detail capture, what PZ is mostly focused on? Even sharpness might just be better due to a better AF accuracy ;-).

Just my 2 cents
….well yesterday's hire was a quick look to see if this camera would do the job for me nowadays….and….

1. not sure that DR is much improved, but i rather like what i see via canon anyhow - and possibly here comparing DPP(70D) to C1(7D) is difficult 

2. yes noise handling looks good

3. color sensitivy could be better, but i could only use DPP for raw as unfortunately my usual processor don't recognise 70D raw yet, so i can't compare the two so much….but having said that i could make the 70D pictures look just the way i wanted, which i liked

4. i thought, on this quick look, that the AF accuracy was good and quick using the same lens and shooting the same way as a stills camera (not sure how it could be better though, 7D was already quite fine)

….but visually the detail capture looks better and cleaner than my 7D on my usual subject matter (comparing via having used C1 here for 7D which is no slouch in the rez dept.)....and the bokeh looks smoother too….at last a digital camera that makes sweet bokeh, at least on my main lens with others to check later. bliss.

….anyhow this all might be useful for pz….maybe k could rent one for a look on his next weekend down in melbourne….for when he is short of things to do down there….

….anyhow it was definately worth the rental to see what's what - i captured some lovely pictures - 'fraid not the type of pictures i like to show here, sadly - but no doubt for me this camera would be a cheaper update than a 7D2 and would do the job, and the tilting touch screen on the back is nice….but one always wonders what's coming next….

….and yes there has been a subtle shift away from the subject matter of this original post….it always happens at 2am you know….