Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise on wide angle lens on APSC
Quote:A 24-70 zoom meshes well with something that ends at 24mm, like a Tokina 12-24/4 or Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6. I've hardly ever seen anyone who is content with having 24mm as their widest even on FF, but they buy a 16/17-35 lens which has a lot of overlap. So if you're going to have a dedicated wide anyways, a 24-70 makes perfect sense on APS-C as well, unless you need to shoot a lot around the 24mm mark and end up switching lenses all the time. Personally I don't understand the "24-70 doesn't cut on APS-C" notion... it just becomes a strictly standard zoom. After all, nobody blasts the 70-200 for not being something it is not, like a standard zoom to cover all bases. Smile

I plan to use 24-70 as my walk around lens.. since my shooting range mostly here... but I also need and WA, I have D5100 and D7000 but use D7000 mostly, and my plan to use D5100 on WA and D7000 for walk around camera

OTT, I liked the Tokina 12-24/4 when I had it, but others have reported that it is suffering from an inherent design problem that is going to cause malfunction sooner or later. I don't remember what it was though. Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 was also a decent lens (including usage on APS-H for fun), but probably rather slow by the standards of today's APS-C UWA zooms.

ah thank you for telling me this (Tokina 12-24) could you please send me the link regarding this issue.. will look around Smile
The design problem is with the Canon mount version, which sets the aperture electronically. As far as I know, the Nikon version has a mechanical aperture operation, and so for the Nikon mount the problem does not occur.
Quote:The design problem is with the Canon mount version, which sets the aperture electronically. As far as I know, the Nikon version has a mechanical aperture operation, and so for the Nikon mount the problem does not occur.
Thanks... ease my mind already Smile