Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last straw
[Image: straw.jpg]

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

nice....possibly lonely....but happy to still be alive.

harsh bokeh ;-)

Hehe yes, the bokeh is not the nicest behind the straw... Which lens did you use?

Yes, I was surprised about the bokeh, too. This is the AF-S 50/1.8 @ f/2.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Yes, I was surprised about the bokeh, too. This is the AF-S 50/1.8 @ f/2.

-- Markus
Wouldn't this kind of background (straw, dried grass) cause bokeh issues with lots of lenses. this field would be good for a test series  :unsure:
A series is sort of what I did today Smile

I remembered that the bokeh quality of the AF-S 50 improves by stopping down. So I went there again today, and fortunately that straw was still there.

I did not exactly find the same angle (did not have yesterdays image with me), but I think it's close enough.

Stopped down to f/2.8, the bokeh quality does improve a little indeed. However, the DOF increases significantly.

[Image: straw2.jpg]

While I was on site, I tried the same shot with other gear I had with me. Below is the same straw shot with the D3x and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 at 75mm and f/2.8:

[Image: straw3.jpg]

The DOF advantage of the larger sensor at the same aperture (not equivalent aperture) is pretty obvious.

I had another lens with me: the PC-E 85. The image below was shot with that lens, slightly tilted (around 1 degree) to tilt the DOF to follow the straw to the ground:

[Image: straw4.jpg]

Even that lens struggles a bit with that kind of background.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I guess a lens with low border resolution may do it better...higher resolution leads to busier background?

Maybe the orientation of the detail in background?... It' all vertical...

Quote:It' all vertical...
Not really. Especially right behind the straw there are quite a few horizontal structures.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com