Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon (and other) mirrorless not doing well?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/0...SN20130808

I wonder whether the DSLR market is still growing...

Well, I think the article mainly suggests that Nikon mirrorless is not doing well (which is not that surprising, isn't it?).

Apart from that, it's my impression, too, that people mostly still go for "real" cameras...

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Apart from that, it's my impression, too, that people mostly still go for "real" cameras...
The entry level DSLR/kit lens crowd needs "real" cameras? I don´t think so. Just in case and to avoid any misunderstanding, I also don´t think that a "real" camera is defined by the presence of a mirror.
You probably overlooked the irony indicators around "real" Wink

Apart from that: I did not say people need DSLRs, I said they go for them. At least that's what I see when I go to places or events with many people and cameras... for many of those, only a DSLR is a "real" camera.

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I did not say people need DSLRs, I said they go for them.
That´s more to the point - as said I wonder whether the DSLR market is still growing...
Quote:I wonder whether the DSLR market is still growing...
The DSLR market seems to be just as bad as the mirrorless sector:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/01/...-2013-CIPA
Yeah, my impression would be that for Sony, for instance, it's a whole different story. I see more NEXes than Alphas. Still not so many Olympus. I'd say I see more Panasonics but people are still obsessed about getting their paws on Canon & Nikons. Nikon 1 are virtually unseen here in Belgium

Quote:Well, I think the article mainly suggests that Nikon mirrorless is not doing well (which is not that surprising, isn't it?).

Apart from that, it's my impression, too, that people mostly still go for "real" cameras...

-- Markus
Quote:The DSLR market seems to be just as bad as the mirrorless sector:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/01/...-2013-CIPA

I think some of this is lack of innovation.  In most cases I can not recommend an owner of a 3 year old DSLR to upgrade to the newest model.  Not many people need/want to print that large that a 12 MP model can not handle it. 

In the Nikon context I find it interesting that the new Coolpix A uses the same sensor as the (about to be) retired D7000.  Also they still think the D7000 AF module is good enough for the D5200. To me this is the admission that for many there are limited benefits from swapping a D7000 for a D7100.  Actually I think potential buyers of a D5200 should think about getting a D7000 instead, depending on whether they need the swivel LCD or a better optical finder.
enjoy
I am working with the D7000 since spring 2011 and for now there is no offer from Nikon which i would like to purchase for upgrading.

Steven

Quote:Yeah, my impression would be that for Sony, for instance, it's a whole different story. I see more NEXes than Alphas. Still not so many Olympus. I'd say I see more Panasonics but people are still obsessed about getting their paws on Canon & Nikons. Nikon 1 are virtually unseen here in Belgium
Agree. I visited Yellowstone National park last week, and was also looking what people are carrying. Most of the people were carrying a DSLR of some kind (mostly Canon or Nikon, occasional Sony, no Pentax), followed by iphone/galaxy phone or ipad. In the mirrorless field Sony NEX was clearly leading, followed by Olympus and Panasonic (it seemed to me that both were seen at the same frequency), then I've seen maybe 2 Samsung NXes, I also saw 2 Sony RX1s and 1 Ricoh GXR. Not a single Fuji, Nikon 1 or Canon M or Pentax Q. I was carrying Samsung NX and Pentax Q.