Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese camera market in 2012
DSLRs:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj52...ac273e.png

Verdict: full format cameras continue to be largely irrelevant in terms of numbers.

Mirrorless:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj52...87e8fc.png

Verdict: 1st place is a surprise but that's primarily because the MFT gang is very fragmented.

When I click on the links the image that comes up is way too small to read - how do you get a larger version ?

Poor old  K01 at the bottom of the mirrorless list. However, Pentax are beating Sony on the DSLR front and are only just behind the Canon 5D Mk.III. 

Quote:However, Pentax are beating Sony on the DSLR front and are only just behind the Canon 5D Mk.III. 
No. You missed A65 with 4.2%
Based on those numbers, full frame was at 6.2%. I wouldn't call that insignificant, and they probably make more profit on those than a truck load of entry level models.

On the DSLR unit share, again based on table values only, Canon got 52.2%, Nikon 33.6%, Sony 6.1%, Pentax 4.5%. That leaves 3.6% unaccounted for, either due to rounding, my typing errors or models not making the list.

Sony sold less SLTs than other's full frames. As discussed in the other thread, Sony having a longer term goal of exiting SLR/SLT territory would be understandable providing they give enough backward compatibility to keep on the right side of existing users and transition them to E-mount.

To do the unit share thing on the mirrorless side:
Nikon 13.3%, Olympus 28.8%, Panasonic 21.4%, Sony 18.4%, Pentax 7.1%, Canon 2.1%, and 8.9% unaccounted for (same disclaimers as above).
Micro4/3 combined shifted more units than everyone else put together.

I find it interesting that Nikon's two entries are the oldest ones. Both had been replaced during the year. I wonder how many of these were shifted while they were current, as opposed to selling off the old generation cheaply.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
....where's fuji?....they do look nice in the shop and here also

....and to change the subject :-) without starting something new - want eos utility on iOS (for less than $299) or on android, and would e-ink work out-doors for focus?

....ok now back to what you were discussing.....

This is about unit sales, and generally speaking more expensive = less sold. Fuji certainly aren't low priced...
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
This is about 2012. The lower priced came out just prior of christmas. 

This doesn't make a difference in the yearly statistics (ending on the 24th here).

Quote:Based on those numbers, full frame was at 6.2%. I wouldn't call that insignificant, and they probably make more profit on those than a truck load of entry level models.

On the DSLR unit share, again based on table values only, Canon got 52.2%, Nikon 33.6%, Sony 6.1%, Pentax 4.5%. That leaves 3.6% unaccounted for, either due to rounding, my typing errors or models not making the list.

Sony sold less SLTs than other's full frames. As discussed in the other thread, Sony having a longer term goal of exiting SLR/SLT territory would be understandable providing they give enough backward compatibility to keep on the right side of existing users and transition them to E-mount.

Nikon 13.3%, Olympus 28.8%, Panasonic 21.4%, Sony 18.4%, Pentax 7.1%, Canon 2.1%, and 8.9% unaccounted for (same disclaimers as above).

I find it interesting that Nikon's two entries are the oldest ones. Both had been replaced during the year. I wonder how many of these were shifted while they were current, as opposed to selling off the old generation cheaply.

I do not complain about full format. After all full format users are probably the 'best' audience for us (being prosumers focused).

However, I think it is always good to keep a sense of perspective. A volume share of 90+% for the smaller formats says it all.

You are of course right, that the profits are higher for full format but then this has nothing to do with 'us' (as in customer perspective).
Quote:Based on those numbers, full frame was at 6.2%. I wouldn't call that insignificant, and they probably make more profit on those than a truck load of entry level models.

Well, it says “Top 20”, so no surprise that some models (like Nikon D300s, etc) didn’t even get into the table. On the other hand, m43 has 50.2% combined – wow :-)