Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thom Hogan's mirrorless This is most likely spam content
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/This...-says.html

I find Thom interesting reading, even if I don't agree with everything he says, he does reason well. Anyway, he recently did a This is most likely spam content or mirrorless and the results are interesting. The This is most likely spam content is still active, and he suggests if you still want to take part you can but should do so before reading on in case the results so far introduces more bias.

I'd add at this point for those nor familiar with him, I know him as making a living out of the Nikon DSLR systems. Since mirrorless came along, he's dipped into that too. This history may have some influence on the results.

On the mirrorless This is most likely spam content he writes: "The majority were m4/3 owners, with Nikon 1 owners being a distant second and Sony NEX owners a close third."

This was my first surprise. Based on what I hear more locally, I would have thought the ranking would be a m4/3 lead, NEX 2nd, and everyone else fighting for what's left over. Since he has a Nikon background, could have have increased the chances of Nikon system owners bumping up the Nikon 1 ranking? Or is there some regional influence?

I also found it ammusing he commented a lot of V1 owners got it because it was cheap. I could almost fall into the category as I had been wondering if I should get one to play with at the giveaway price they're still around at.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I wonder if the vast majority of his readership is American so that his This is most likely spam content represents the US market primarily. Don't think I've ever seen a Nikon 1 either here in the UK or on my recent travels in Oz and NZ. I saw quite a few NEX cameras there, far more than Canon DSLRs. But I was surprised in Oz/NZ to find a sizeable majority of tourists had entry level Nikon DSLRs with the kit lens. Mind you, most of those 'tourists' were from SE Asia and my findings may simply reflect Nikon's dominance in that part of the world.

As I hinted at, I suspect a large part of Thom's readership is or has been Nikon related in some way. Thus the geographic representation may be skewed towards those regions which use more Nikon.

In terms of visibility, I suppose I don't really see enough "mirrorless" around in general to give an indication of branding there. Certainly DSLRs are still very popular in the locations I go to, where Canon, Nikon and Sony all feature prominently, as are bridge/compacts and cameraphones.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Yes, I think the PZ numbers are more universal here:

1. MFT: 43%

2. NEX: 27%

3. Fuji X: 15%

4. Nikon 1: 7%

5. Samsung: 6%

EOS M is missing, but I feel this is more accurate from  a world-wide perspective.

Quote:Yes, I think the PZ numbers are more universal here:

1. MFT: 43%

2. NEX: 27%

3. Fuji X: 15%

4. Nikon 1: 7%

5. Samsung: 6%

EOS M is missing, but I feel this is more accurate from a world-wide perspective.

What are PZ numbers?

One thing he claimed is that DSLR still outsells mirror-less. Something I find a bit hard to imagine. Why does anyone want to tie a humongous Nikon to his or her neck? But perhaps the market is again in a "mine is bigger than yours" phase and I am "out of fashion".

Seen Nikons in a shop the other day - was plain astonished how big they are. These days I often start to experience my pen as on the large side of things :o
enjoy
This is the share according to the local reader statistics.

But yes, DSLRs are outselling EVILs by quite a margin (also according to the official CIPA figures).

EVILs are still pretty much a nice market outside of Asia.

The local Nikon full format section alone has more readers than all the mirrorless systems combined.

This relates, of course, also to the reader structure (mostly prosumers).

It just takes time to leave old habits behind. This is normal.

Quote:EVILs are still pretty much a nich
e market outside of Asia.
Missed a bit up there?

joachim, mirrorless will only fully take over from DSLRs once all the weaknesses have been addressed. We're still a long way from that. That's not to say that mirrorless isn't capable. Obviously for a lot of uses it is good enough, in the same way people find cameraphones good enough. And if you have different needs, different cameras may be more optimal in a given role.
I doubt mirrorlesses will ever fully take over from DSLRs even if all the weaknesses have been addressed someday since the feeling with an EVF will always be very different from that with a TTL-OVF.

Quote:This is the share according to the local reader statistics.

But yes, DSLRs are outselling EVILs by quite a margin (also according to the official CIPA figures).

EVILs are still pretty much a nice market outside of Asia.

The local Nikon full format section alone has more readers than all the mirrorless systems combined.

This relates, of course, also to the reader structure (mostly prosumers).

It just takes time to leave old habits behind. This is normal.

The habit of putting film in your camera died surprisingly quickly Wink
enjoy
Quote:Missed a bit up there?

joachim, mirrorless will only fully take over from DSLRs once all the weaknesses have been addressed. We're still a long way from that. That's not to say that mirrorless isn't capable. Obviously for a lot of uses it is good enough, in the same way people find cameraphones good enough. And if you have different needs, different cameras may be more optimal in a given role.

Digital has not caught up with Ektachrome in every aspect - still Ektachrome isn't any longer. 6x6 slides from a 1956 Rolleicord are a show.

I honestly think most people buying a DSLR kit would be better off with an mFT. Fast moving subjects is the area still justifying an SLR - and perhaps enlargements that can't be handled with 16MP. But how many cheap EOS do qualify here? Then all these bulky Nikons and EOS do not even feature IBS - which takes a lot of the potential low light edge. As I said my opinion.

Based on that opinion I am surprised that mFT sales do not outnumber DSLR sales. Obviously many don't share my opinion.

Thanks for contributing - I mean it.
enjoy