Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think ?
EOS 5D III vs Cinema Camera (sub-Micro-Four-Thirds sensor):

http://vimeo.com/49875510

Ok, this is 'just' HD video ... but still ...

Wow I am really surprised with the results.

There are so many things in the Video, that I don't even have slightest idea what it is and how is accomplished.

This just confirms - Bojan, don't even think about video Big Grin. At least until retirement.
Looks like it's definitive time to go m43 - for video at least:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products...nemacamera

Though no touchscreen user interface apparently. But since it doesn't seem to AF either, there's no point in tapping at the display to control focus anyway.

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">2c - well talking stills anyway: various full frame sensors would possibly produce similar comparative results, say 3X/900 Vs 5D3 - but the seeing-thru-the-haze shot was a good feature:-)

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">….and although i'm not familiar now with moving pix graders, with stills at least in post it is possible to bring out the apparently missing detail in the whites and blacks from the canon sensors, if you want to do so and prefer that look that is - but for moving pictures and that 'real' look CC does look easier here - maybe it would depend on how the small sensor compares on the big screen in the cinema - and maybe at least one of us might have graded the shots in a different way

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">….not in anyway to say that this is not an interesting demo though

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;"> 

edit 10/04 - why an edit? = didn't look close enough first time and don't want to make another post, sorry -

so, on a further quick look at this, it seems to me that -

1. they are using the 5d3 at: rez 0, contrast -4, saturation -2, colour 0 not settings i would use for output jpegs

2. looks like CC pulls the peak whites and blacks to increase detail/contrast in same as standard settings (in this case) - not such a bad idea, but can it be disabled if that is not what you want

3. if no filters used then why haze and no apparent haze in the lens/distance comparison shots (did the haze blow awaySmile and why star effect and no star effect on some contrast comparison shots

4. they say no post grading, but no one does no post grading especially for commercials 

so maybe the camera is good or maybe less so but this sales demo would leave me wanting to look at the camera myself to see whats what

.... and not sure that an actual shutter is such a bad idea for this kind of stuff

<p style="font-size:13px;font-family:Helvetica;">….and don't show the gf how much gear she has to carry around in the back pack to go with this little camera ;-)

1.9GB download... this could take a while. So without having seen it, I assume it shows the dedicated video camera blowing 5D3 out of the water. And Canon have already come up with their own video dedicated sensor as opposed to borrowing a stills-orientated camera, even if it isn't available in a product yet... and by past experiences, it may be a long wait!
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I watched the video... and I'm sold on that new camera. If I cared at all for video that is... I would nit pick at the bokeh test they did about half way though, where they said use the longer lens and step back. Arguably you could use a longer lens with the DSLR too and have even bigger bokeh. Or maybe that's getting a step too far...
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I'm a bit confused. What exactly is this 'black' magic camera ? Is it micro 4/3 camera; or is it a smaller sensor designed just for video that accepts micro-4/3 lenses ?

Quote:I'm a bit confused. What exactly is this 'black' magic camera ? Is it micro 4/3 camera; or is it a smaller sensor designed just for video that accepts micro-4/3 lenses ?
It is a video camera with a smaller than 4/3rds sensor (about 15x8.8mm). They offer two mounts, Canon EF and MFT. Apparently they will be introducing an MFT only "pocket" video camera (think Panasonic GX/F size) and a 135 format FF sensor camera (EF-mount).
But what is the mangification factor? I.e, even they use a smaller sensor is the registration distance the same ?

Quote:But what is the mangification factor? I.e, even they use a smaller sensor is the registration distance the same ?
Hmm? Magnification factor? You can calculate the crop factor if you want, the sensor size of the current model is available on the manufacturer's website (and elsewhere)  Tongue

Of course the flange distance is appropriate for the used mounts, else the cameras would be quite unusable. So for the EF/EOS mount model the EOS flange distance, and for the MFT one the MFT flange distance, obviously.