Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally it comes: the new Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens announcement: http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0305_lens_04.htm

and http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoo.../index.htm

[Image: Nikkor-80-400mm-f4.5-5.6G-ED-VR-lens.jpg]

[Image: pic_004.jpg]

[Image: pic_002.png][Image: pic_003.png]

Specifications

Focal length: 80-400 mm
Maximum aperture: f/4.5-5.6
Minimum aperture: f/32-40
Lens construction: 20 elements in 12 groups (including four ED glass and one Super ED glass elements, and Nano Crystal Coat)
Angle of view: 30°10' - 6°10' (20° - 4° with Nikon DX format)
Minimum focus distance: 1.75 m/5.74 ft from focal plane (1.5 m/4.92 ft in MF)
Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/5.7x (1/5.1x in MF)
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
Filter-attachment size: 77 mm
Diameter x length (distance from camera lens mount flange): Approximately 95.5 x 203 mm/3.8 x 8.0 in.
Weight (Based on CIPA Guidelines): Approximately 1570 g/3.5 lb (with tripod mounting collar); approximately 1480 g/3.3 lb (without tripod mounting collar)
Supplied accessories: 77 mm snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-77, Rear Lens Cap LF-4, Bayonet Hood HB-65, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-M2
The MTFs look promising but the lens seems to be too big (volume and weight). I don't understand why Nikon uses VR II not VR III on this lens.

Frank, you do not get the Nikon nomenclature totally.

If in the name there is a "VR II", it means the 2nd version of a lens.

Example: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II.

The II stands for "mark II".

The new Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR is a "mark I".

The old AF 80-400mm VR was not an AF-S lens. So, the Nikkor AF-S 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 VR will not get a "mark II" in its name (it is the first version with AF-S and VR together).

The "VRII and "VRIII" when talking about the VR implementation are something different, and anyway rather meaningless marketing babble. There have been more than 3 VR iterations over the last 2 decades.

So... a II in the name of a lens just means "mark II", a 2nd version of a lens with the same "name". A III will mean a 3rd version. but till now there have not been any examples.

*edit: found the edit button... Light on the screen made it just about invisible. My bad (mk II)
Oops, sorry Frank. I misread your post I think (I now read the sentence correctly). Can't edit the post, it seems the forum overhaul has lost the edit ability.

Copied from the 2nd link: VR (Vibration Reduction) minimizes camera shake by offering a shutter speed equivalent to 4.0 stops faster (at 400 mm; based on CIPA Standard). From this sentense I inferred that it is not the same VR on the 70-200mm f4 lens. But I could be wrong because the VR effects were measured at two different focal lengths (400mm vs 200mm) and certainly the lens constructions are also different.
<div>

</div>
Quote:Can't edit the post, it seems the forum overhaul has lost the edit ability.
Just when I had my post finished, you found the edit button yourself Wink

One word about the editor then instead: there's a button switch on the top left (first button in the row) that switches between WYSIWYG view and source view. The source view is what you're probably used to from the old forum software. I prefer that one, too.

However, when in source view the editor strips out empty lines before and after quotes, which makes posts with multiple quotes a bit difficult to read. To add empty lines nonetheless, you'd have to switch to the WYSIWYG view again (no stripping there).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

well sony's new big one has ten more mm's than nikon's so there - anyhow, hopes that this lens actually works, as opposed to that 10 yo one 

Quote:anyhow, hopes that this lens actually works, as opposed to that 10 yo one
At $2600, it better does...

Anybody found info if the tripod collar is included? It's not listed among the supplied accessories...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hefty price again, like Canon, Nikon feels the strong Yen (or rather, we feel the weak dollar and euro?).

The tripod collar is included (as it was with the old 80-400mm).