Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor cleaning
Hello all,

Wonder if there are still people who are not on holiday (like myself).

Did we discus the way to clean camera sensors already? If so, where can I find it. And if not I like to hear from you what you preffered cleaning kit or method is.

I use VisibleDust the the green swabs for my EOS 5D. But I wonder if a dry brush is better. I have also seen those "vacuumcleaner" from, I believe it is called Green Clean.

Best wishes,

Reinier
I prefer a moist swab (moist with cleaning liquid), so a wet method. I actually just prefer blowing on it with a blower, but when that's not enough, a moist swab.
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1343749242' post='19650']

Hello all,

Wonder if there are still people who are not on holiday (like myself).

Did we discus the way to clean camera sensors already? If so, where can I find it. And if not I like to hear from you what you preffered cleaning kit or method is.

I use VisibleDust the the green swabs for my EOS 5D. But I wonder if a dry brush is better. I have also seen those "vacuumcleaner" from, I believe it is called Green Clean.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

I use a dry brush. First I try a rocket blower (usually doesn't do much), then the brush, usually 2 or three times (check sensor in-between), then the sensor is clean. One sort of has to try a full sweeping motion across the whole sensor, otherwise dust particles are left where the brush lifts off the sensor.

http://www.thedustpatrol.com/products.html

The product is small and compact, easy also to take along for travel. I try to clean the brush itself just with a rocket blower and never touch anything with it except the sensor. I never trust the wet stuff, most liquids leave some residue behind.
There is one thing with old 5D's you should have an eye on:

Very early models of the 5D (Serial numbers 043020xxxx) have a

weakness in the coating of the AA-filter. Certain cleaning fluids

will disolve the coating and irrecoverably damage the AA-filter.

Sone fluids seem to be ok ... others not.

Since I own a 5D of this series, I do only dry cleaning with a rocketblower

(works most of the times pretty well) and brushes (for the stuff I cannot

blow away).

I usually check at f/8 and at f/22 ... if I don't see any dirt at f/8 (but see something

at f/22) I dont clean ... if I see the dirt also at f/8, I will clean.

Rainer