Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live view vs. viewfinder exposure
Hi,

I've got a question about how my D5100 should react when switching between live view and using the viewfinder.

So, I'm using aperture priority f11. when I use the viewfinder I get shutter speed of 1/400 and when I use live view I get a shutter speed of 1/250. Nothing else changes. I just discovered it today, but had been wondering why the shutter sounded like it took longer in live view and just thought it had to do with the way the mirror worked. But, when I think about it, it should happen quicker in live view anyway. oh, and I'm covering the viewfinder in both cases to insure no light goes in there.

Is there something wrong with my D5100 or just my understanding of it?

Thank.
Well, how do the resulting images look? 3/4 F-stop difference?

Presumably life view used whatever area is covered by the ae system on the sensor,

while viewfinder used the viewfinder ae system, which you may have set to spot, or some other method that gives a different result then the ae metering on the sensor.
[quote name='photonius' timestamp='1341956112' post='19403']

Well, how do the resulting images look? 3/4 F-stop difference?

Presumably life view used whatever area is covered by the ae system on the sensor,

while viewfinder used the viewfinder ae system, which you may have set to spot, or some other method that gives a different result then the ae metering on the sensor.

[/quote]

OK. I do have them both set to spot, just wondered if it was normal to read differently. I see what you are saying, so I guess it is.

Not much difference, true. Just small shift in the histogram.

Thanks.