Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP Di VC USD (EOS) review
Hi Photozone,

Below is the letter I've just sent to Tamron Customer Service. It may be helpful if your own review of this Tamron lens (above) is amended slightly, so that other readers won't also be misled when they read in your review: "The focus and zoom control rings operate smoothly."

Thanks much!

JoeB

Hello Tamron Customer Service,

I'm a professional shooting advertising photography these past 25 years, and I've just purchased and received your new zoom lens (above).

I bought it on the advice of Michael Reichman (Luminous-Landscape.com), and its review on the Photozone website. However the lens I've just received does not zoom smoothly (silkily) throughout its entire zooming range.

It 'hesitates', and then zooms unevenly between 100mm and 300mm, instead of gliding along velvety-smooth.

I understand the optics are very good for a lens in this price range, but I bought it strictly to shoot HD Video, as a replacement for my (much more expensive!!)Canon 70-300mm DO IS zoom (which also is not silky-smooth when zooming in Video mode). So I am not knocking your Tamron lens at all.

Unfortunately I must return this Tamron lens since I cannot use it as intended.

My only question is: Did I simply receive a poor copy of this lens (and should therefore re-order another copy), or is this a common problem of this lens' design? The unevenness is so slight that it would not bother me for stills shooting, but unfortunately 'smooth-ness' it is critical for 'zooming-during-video'.

Thank you very much for your honest assessment!

Best wishes,

Joe
[quote name='JoeB' timestamp='1336161549' post='18016']

Did I simply receive a poor copy of this lens (and should therefore re-order another copy), or is this a common problem of this lens' design? The unevenness is so slight that it would not bother me for stills shooting, but unfortunately 'smooth-ness' it is critical for 'zooming-during-video'.

Joe

[/quote]

Hi Joe,

My copy of this lens also has slightly 'sticky' / hesitant zoom just before 100mm and between 135 and 200mm

Ian