Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lens AF Performance
I purchased a piece of software called FoCal Pro to micro adjust my Canon lenses to my 5D MK II and 7D recently, and found that I much preferred it to the manual "Lens Align" tool.

The big revelation, however, was how much more consistent some lenses were than others. We have, of course, known that performance is not equal, but now there is a tool which lets you see how accurate and consistent the AF of a certain lens-camera body combination is. We cannot yet save the info, but that feature is coming. There is also the question of consistency from lens to lens and batch to batch.

I found that all of my 10 lenses performed the same way on both my 7D and my 5D MK II. The AFMA numbers were different, of course, but focus consistency and accuracy tended to be the same.

I'd like to see a lens AF analysis included as part of a lens rating, it may be a more impoortant factor than I had realized (I'm sure Klaus knows this already).

For example, my Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS had a beautiful response as the AFMA was adjusted from -20 to +20, and by running the curve at three different zoom positions, I could detect variations with focal length.

Something to consider adding to the lens tests as it becoms available for different cameras?
[quote name='scalesusa' timestamp='[url="tel:1326484093"]1326484093[/url]' post='14836']

I purchased a piece of software called FoCal Pro to micro adjust my Canon lenses to my 5D MK II and 7D recently, and found that I much preferred it to the manual "Lens Align" tool.

The big revelation, however, was how much more consistent some lenses were than others. We have, of course, known that performance is not equal, but now there is a tool which lets you see how accurate and consistent the AF of a certain lens-camera body combination is. We cannot yet save the info, but that feature is coming. There is also the question of consistency from lens to lens and batch to batch.

I found that all of my 10 lenses performed the same way on both my 7D and my 5D MK II. The AFMA numbers were different, of course, but focus consistency and accuracy tended to be the same.

I'd like to see a lens AF analysis included as part of a lens rating, it may be a more impoortant factor than I had realized (I'm sure Klaus knows this already).

For example, my Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS had a beautiful response as the AFMA was adjusted from -20 to +20, and by running the curve at three different zoom positions, I could detect variations with focal length.

Something to consider adding to the lens tests as it becoms available for different cameras?

[/quote]

The problem is that this varies on a lens and camera basis so any statement is doomed to be torn apart by the community.