Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony NEX 7 - AA filter
I just had a look at the Zeiss 85 on the NEX 7.

Just like the NEX 5 it has an asymmetric AA filter - weak to non-existent horizontally, comparatively stronger vertically. All in all it can be regarded as relatively weak.

What I can see already - the center is now much more emphasized compared to the border/corner region. We will have get used to that ...
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1325854304' post='14405']

Just like the NEX 5 it has an asymmetric AA filter - weak to non-existent horizontally, comparatively stronger vertically

[/quote]

And any ideas what is the reason for that?

Serkan
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1325854304' post='14405']

I just had a look at the Zeiss 85 on the NEX 7.....

What I can see already - the center is now much more emphasized compared to the border/corner region. We will have get used to that ...

[/quote]

emphasized? as in sharper? less filter, or .....

well wait and see, but i don't like the sound of that on cropped
[quote name='asnwd' timestamp='1325860346' post='14418']

emphasized? as in sharper? less filter, or .....

well wait and see, but i don't like the sound of that on cropped

[/quote]

Bigger difference in measured results is my guess... Higher res. figures for the center, showing the borders to be weaker sooner.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1325863072' post='14420']

Bigger difference in measured results is my guess... Higher res. figures for the center, showing the borders to be weaker sooner.

[/quote]

yes i suppose - but i didn't want to hear that :-) .... still, i already have 24mps, so i'll just keep on lifting those weights then
It would be interesting to do a quick test to see how much the adapter impact image quality - if possible.
[quote name='you2' timestamp='1325877593' post='14425']

It would be interesting to do a quick test to see how much the adapter impact image quality - if possible.

[/quote]

Actually I did a comparison between the two with the 85mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 because I wasn't too sure about the values. However, there wasn't really a substantial difference. The centering of the tested sample wasn't great so the error margin is quite high though. Eventually I will give it a try with a more "stable" lens.
Hi,

I was wondering if you are sure if the cause is a unidirectional AA filter? Can it not be this effect is a result of the conversion algorithm? Did you ever see a camera without AA filter that had the same resolution vertical and horizontally? Sorry for all the questions, but I have compared some NEX-5n images with results from a M9 an did not see much difference, which makes me wonder if there is any AA filter at all in the NEX.

Thanks
[quote name='waardij' timestamp='1326377813' post='14809']

Hi,

I was wondering if you are sure if the cause is a unidirectional AA filter? Can it not be this effect is a result of the conversion algorithm? Did you ever see a camera without AA filter that had the same resolution vertical and horizontally? Sorry for all the questions, but I have compared some NEX-5n images with results from a M9 an did not see much difference, which makes me wonder if there is any AA filter at all in the NEX.

Thanks

[/quote]

Sure, there are many cameras with an asymmetrical AA filter. The NX 200 comes into mind, also the NEX 5 and the old Pentax K10D.

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1326383214' post='14813']

Sure, there are many cameras with an asymmetrical AA filter. The NX 200 comes into mind, also the NEX 5 and the old Pentax K10D.

[/quote]

Saw a couple of diagrams where it was clear that bi-directional AA filter requires 2 layers, one for each direction.

Maybe just 1 layer of AA filter is cheaper or thinner while still doing the job.