Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightroom Raw+JPEG question
Hi all,

recently I acquired a Sigma DP1x (a better camera than I expected, but that is another story). Lightroom handles its Raw files not very good, bright highlight colors look clipped very often. Sigma Photo Pro produces much better photos, also the straight JPEGs are fine.

As I still want to use Lightroom for its catalog and printing capabilities, I want to shoot Raw+JPEG and let Lightroom show only the JPEGs. But this does not seem to be possible. Importing is fine, I get two files on the disk and Lightroom shows them as Raw+JPEG. But all previews are generated from the Raw file and no viewing, editing, or printing of the JPEG file is possible.

Am I missing something or is there no way to use JPEGs from Raw+JPEG pairs in Lightroom?

Thanks for any hints,

Thomas
I'm a little confused, why would you want to shoot RAW+Jpg if you don't want to use the RAW files??????
[quote name='carson99' timestamp='1314130133' post='10885']

I'm a little confused, why would you want to shoot RAW+Jpg if you don't want to use the RAW files??????

[/quote]

I do want to use them. I will make adjustments to certain photos in Sigma Photo Pro (the Sigma software). But I want to browse, view and print the ones that do not need adjustment in Lightroom. And therefore I don't want Lightroom to show me its conversion of the Raws but the JPEGs.
There's an option in Preferences to treat the JPGs as seperate images. Would that help?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/3....B0575.html

Aperture handles this much better, there are options in the import dialog to import only RAW, only JPG or both and in the latter case which one to use as master.

Doesn't help you, of course, but might be worth to send this as feature request to Adobe.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1314180546' post='10919']

There's an option in Preferences to treat the JPGs as seperate images. Would that help?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/3....B0575.html

[/quote]

Oh yes, that would help. Thank you.

Although it looks like an import preference, so nothing that affects already imported files?

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1314180546' post='10919']

Aperture handles this much better, there are options in the import dialog to import only RAW, only JPG or both and in the latter case which one to use as master.

Doesn't help you, of course, but might be worth to send this as feature request to Adobe.

[/quote]

Not reason enough to go for a Mac. But I will consider telling it to Adobe.
[quote name='ThomasD' timestamp='1314182590' post='10920']

Although it looks like an import preference, so nothing that affects already imported files?

[/quote]

Maybe. Unfortunately I can't try it on my office machine.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1314182927' post='10921']

Maybe. Unfortunately I can't try it on my office machine.

-- Markus

[/quote]

I just tried it. It really does not affect already imported pictures. It is a bit weird that you have to choose at import time once and for all how your files are handled and cannot change it later.