Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon vs Tamron 60mm macro for Canon 60D?
I am looking for a lens to use 50:50 macro : portrait and these 2 are very appealing. I have read about some compatibility issues between the tamron 60mm and XD and XXD lenses?

I am very tempted by the F2 of the macro for portrait work and from the photozone review the bokeh looks nice and creamy. How does the AF compare between the 2? especially in low light? (i currently have a tamron 17-50 VC, i do find this a bit soft at 50mm and 2.8). I guess the AF may be faster on the canon due to the USM. Most of my portraits are of my 2 year old so AF is important. Bascially I can't afford a separate portraits lens and love macro so want the best 2 in one I can get for my budget. I want to use it mainlyand hel therefore i don't thnk the 100mm is for me also my living room is only about 12ft to 100mm would be too long.

Anyone used both? I would be very grateful for any advice.
[quote name='vickylou' timestamp='1313311993' post='10739']

I am looking for a lens to use 50:50 macro : portrait and these 2 are very appealing. I have read about some compatibility issues between the tamron 60mm and XD and XXD lenses?

[/quote]

Which compatibility issues have you read about?

[quote name='vickylou' timestamp='1313311993' post='10739']

I am very tempted by the F2 of the macro for portrait work and from the photozone review the bokeh looks nice and creamy. How does the AF compare between the 2? especially in low light? (i currently have a tamron 17-50 VC, i do find this a bit soft at 50mm and 2.8). I guess the AF may be faster on the canon due to the USM. Most of my portraits are of my 2 year old so AF is important. Bascially I can't afford a separate portraits lens and love macro so want the best 2 in one I can get for my budget. I want to use it mainlyand hel therefore i don't thnk the 100mm is for me also my living room is only about 12ft to 100mm would be too long.

Anyone used both? I would be very grateful for any advice.

[/quote]

The Canon is faster in focus, but I have not read many complaints about the Tamron in lower light.

The Tamron offers f2, so a bit shallower DOF which is welcome for portrait use. It also has nicer bokeh. The Canon has quite strong light fall off (sometimes called vignetting) wide open when not used as macro.

The Tamron comes with lens hood standard, factor the optional hood in with the price for the Canon.

If I were to want a 60mm macro/portrait lens now, I would probably choose the Tamron as the Canon plus points are mainly mechanical and the Tamron plus points are mainly optical. But both lenses are good, so whatever one you choose will do fine.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1313319467' post='10742']

Which compatibility issues have you read about?

The Canon is faster in focus, but I have not read many complaints about the Tamron in lower light.

The Tamron offers f2, so a bit shallower DOF which is welcome for portrait use. It also has nicer bokeh. The Canon has quite strong light fall off (sometimes called vignetting) wide open when not used as macro.

The Tamron comes with lens hood standard, factor the optional hood in with the price for the Canon.

If I were to want a 60mm macro/portrait lens now, I would probably choose the Tamron as the Canon plus points are mainly mechanical and the Tamron plus points are mainly optical. But both lenses are good, so whatever one you choose will do fine.

[/quote]

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.