Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ND filters: need your help
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a ND filter and have set my eyes on Singh Ray vari ND. Problem is, they are available in only 77mm thread size and i have

lenses from M43 and NEX systems and possibly add Canon L lenses.

My lens thread sizes will look like this: 67, 46, 49, 62, 72 and 77.

Can you guide me how do i approach this in the simplest possible manner. I don't want to buy different NDs for diff lenses.

Right now, it all looks quite complicated.

regards,

nandadevieast
Just buy step-up rings. They are fairly cheap.
I use step-up rings too.

I dont use 'Singh Ray vari ND'. I use two Hoya 77mm CPL insted.

That is what Singh ray uses in their vari ND.
Hi, thanks.

A couple of things here:

Can these ND filters, like your two Hoya's, be stacked on top of each other...do they have the threads that way?

I don't mind Hoya also if i can put together couple of them...

Also, what's a good choice in terms of density...if one wants to eventually have 10 stops of control....

regards,

nandadevieast

[quote name='miro' timestamp='1312790673' post='10482']

I use step-up rings too.

I dont use 'Singh Ray vari ND'. I use two Hoya 77mm CPL insted.

That is what Singh ray uses in their vari ND.

[/quote]
[quote name='nandadevieast' timestamp='1312814457' post='10507']

Hi, thanks.

A couple of things here:

Can these ND filters, like your two Hoya's, be stacked on top of each other...do they have the threads that way?

I don't mind Hoya also if i can put together couple of them...

Also, what's a good choice in terms of density...if one wants to eventually have 10 stops of control....

regards,

nandadevieast

[/quote]

Miro stacks two pol. filters on to of eachother, instead of a ND filter. This makes for an adjustable density. Maybe you got that, but from your reply I am not certain.

To take care that you do not use two CPLs though. Use either 2 linear PLs or one linear PL on top of a CPL. you can vary the density to almost total darkness basically, with two PL filters. however, usually they will create colour casts.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1313144581' post='10687']

Miro stacks two pol. filters on to of eachother, instead of a ND filter. This makes for an adjustable density. Maybe you got that, but from your reply I am not certain.

To take care that you do not use two CPLs though. Use either 2 linear PLs or one linear PL on top of a CPL. you can vary the density to almost total darkness basically, with two PL filters. however, usually they will create colour casts.

[/quote]

thanks, i like the suggestion.