Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psssst ...
 ... we'll get a new site name soon ...  :ph34r:

The thing is - we need a .com address really and acquiring photozone.com would cost us a very high four digit $ figure ... and I simply refuse to feed the domain trolls for nothing.

Other than that nothing will change - if you access the site via photozone.de, you will simply be redirected to the new domain. 

At least myself, as well as (I suppose) many many others don't mind the .de extension, why won't the other website point to photozone.de instead of the other way round. ?

Why should a good site have a .com extension ? 

Besides photozone.com is recognized now by many filters as a phishing site and is blocked. 

And since we are speaking about the website  the "zone" is now empty of pictures maybe getting them back would be a nice idea ?

It may well be that the frequent users don't mind the .de extension but it's just odd fir newcomers.

Other reason is that .de is highly unattractive for advertisers - we aren't really on their radar because of that - and with diminishing revenues we have to fish for opportunities.

Good luck!

Pity.

But I know I'm going to be coming here through that redirect regardless; this site's name has been so ingrained in my brain that it is the second site I'm checking after coming awake.

You don't know how many arguments I had about this with Markus ... ;-)

.de has always been a comforting thing to me.  Back in the early days of the internet I used to be a regular on Wilders computer site which was a .de site.  It seemed the sleazier sites became, the more I looked to non-US sites for quality security and business applications, and more genuine and enthusiastic forums.  Then I got involved with beta testing and using a couple French based forums and software products.  Sad to say, but I find American sites are often a lot ruder and less helpful.  But, hey!  That's just based one my own experiences.  You may love .com sites and blogs.  It's just my own particular history.

photozone.de is easy to pronounce, easy to memorize, add to that it is not blocked anywhere, at work there's a filter that blocks almost everything, of the photography site only PZ is not blocked all photography sites ending with a .com are blocked.

.de still has its advantages, you want another site with .com  for commercial purposes fine but do keep photozone.de

Quote:this site's name has been so ingrained in my brain that it is the second site I'm checking after coming awake.
It's the same here
Actually photozone.de is being blocked by the Avira Internet Security Suite. I have no idea why they do that - inquiries have never been answered - but it's probably costing us 10% of the traffic. It's totally bizarre. I suspect that this relates to the crap content on photozone.com. One more reason to switch the domain. I've registered the name in two variations for .com and .net.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.