Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony overtakes Nikon full camera sales is now #2
While many manufacturers are struggling things seem excellent at Sony

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/04/...ra-market/
It's in the US only though.

One more nail in the DSLR coffin ... and essentially unnoticed by CaNikon ...

I know sony makes ton of money off of sensors but do they make money off of cameras ? I am a bit surprise so many folks are buying (I presume most of the sales are in a7 series but perhaps their dslr also sells well ) ? Part of the reason this surprises me is that sony lens line up is a bit weak for professionals but then again many newspapers and magazines have cut down or total eliminated staff photographers.

And it was Sony which published data of 2 months.

Maybe it would be good not to run after each "breaking news"  Wink Here are some other thoughts about that from Nasim, but honestly, I really don't care about who's overtaking who - and in Nikon's case, being overtaken might as well be another wake-up-call they are too deaf to hear.

In that market, over 2 months, Sony FF grew 23% compared to what? Last year same period.

They say over that period the FF market grew 5%. Without Sony's share the growth was -2%.

Hey, that is very, very strange. It really states: "Market without Sony". So they say that with Sony, the market grew 5%. That 5% includes Sony's 23% growth. But Sony's total market share is only 7%. Something is very wrong in those figures.

Perhaps they meant to write, "Market without Sony's share growth". 

Then 23% represents 7%. Than that would mean 30% market share for Sony. I'd like to see the actual data, k thnx.

What is strange with those figures ? Sony mentions the full format market share. 

I don't think that they are selling many APS-C cameras these days - certainly much less so than CaNikon are selling APS-C DSLRs. In total the APS-C (plus MFT) market is certainly still much bigger than FF.

Strange with those figures is simply the short time they were collected in. Nikon is not increasing much their sales because people with a new camera in mind don't invest in more DSLR technique if all rumors point towards a serious mirrorless system.

So all manufacturers with existing, available and typically cleaned itches of the first wave will have an advantage. I don't say the photographic world is holding it's breath - if I don't get it from Nikon, there are still plenty of alternatives. But even Nikon will have a hard time to ignore the impact of the Hasselblad and Fuji mirrorless - so if they want to stay in business, they need to show something awesome or make DSLRs until the last of their retired customers has died while enjoying the bright view of an OVF.

I travel now around in China and beside Canon 5D I see here many A7*. It's tourist with much money. The interesting part is that you see not many cheaper Cameras, people simply use their phone. I have never seen so many expensive cameras in Europe.
Quote:I travel now around in China and beside Canon 5D I see here many A7*. It's tourist with much money. The interesting part is that you see not many cheaper Cameras, people simply use their phone. I have never seen so many expensive cameras in Europe.

Based what I can see around, I'd say that Chinese tourists are crazy about prestigious brands and gadgets. They seem to prefer big DSLRs over small mirrorless cameras though (unless smartphones are enough).
Not all Chinese, but enough. What I found interesting is that I have not seen one big Nikon. Couples sometimes own two FF cameras, there was for example a couple with two A7r ii with expensive lenses. But I am not shure how sustainable this market is, otherwise I think China will drive the market, there are simple many people here. And consumers, who got rich, like to show off.