Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good lens sample
Hi

Greatings from Norway :-) I have read alot of reviews here at photozone. Sometimes I read "If you can get a good sample" at the end of the review. What does this mean. Is there big differens at the samples? How can I find out that the lens are a good sample?

Will photozone test Sigma 12-24 at FF
[quote name='Bjørn Tore' timestamp='1294484471' post='5387']

Hi

Greatings from Norway :-) I have read alot of reviews here at photozone. Sometimes I read "If you can get a good sample" at the end of the review. What does this mean. Is there big differens at the samples? How can I find out that the lens are a good sample?

Will photozone test Sigma 12-24 at FF

[/quote]

Yes, it does mean there is sample variation between lenses, from just about all manufacturers. Some models show more variation than other models. Some feel some manufacturers always show more variation, although that is not really true... all manufacturers seem to have lenses too that show very little variation.

The Sigma 12-24mm is a lens that does show big variations between samples. That is why you can find people that love that super ultra wide lens, and people who think it is crap. Only way to find out is to see if a sample you bought is working to reasonable IQ standards.
It's the same with Sigma 10-20. Often you have to try out 3 samples to get a good one.

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1294490354' post='5391']

Yes, it does mean there is sample variation between lenses, from just about all manufacturers. Some models show more variation than other models. Some feel some manufacturers always show more variation, although that is not really true... all manufacturers seem to have lenses too that show very little variation.

The Sigma 12-24mm is a lens that does show big variations between samples. That is why you can find people that love that super ultra wide lens, and people who think it is crap. Only way to find out is to see if a sample you bought is working to reasonable IQ standards.

[/quote]
[quote name='ecle' timestamp='1294518757' post='5395']

It's the same with Sigma 10-20. Often you have to try out 3 samples to get a good one.

[/quote]

how do you know that you got a bad sample and it's not bad by design?

did you see obvious errors or do you have some test?