Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon QC: Whats your experience
Just wanted to check on peoples experience with Canon QC. Here is mine:

Eos 30D: mainboard exchanged twice on warranty due to camera failure. After warranty expired, mainboard failed again and was exchanged a third time free of charge after I complained about QC. Camera has less than 20.000 clicks

70-200 4fL IS: came with optics maladjusted. lens would only sharpen up at f/11. After adjustment by canon service, the lens became unsharp again during heavy use on a month long journey (no abuse!). This time canon service changed some of the lens holding devices in the lens. Now it seems to hold

24-105 f/4L: Came heavily decentered. left side much sharper than right side at all focal length even at f/11. Currently with canon for adjustement ( I am not a pixel peeper, the fault was visible even in small prints)

85mm 1.8: Af broke after a year (scratching noise). Af unit exchanged on warranty. Lens now gives error 01 from time to time

eos 50D: Shutter button malfunction after about one year of heavy use (about 20.000 clicks) repaired on warranty.

No problems I had so far with the following lenses and cameras:

Canon 10-22

50mm 1.8

28 1.8

17-85

Eos 5 Mark II.
Only for the items I've owned from new:

50D - one short period where the shutter button was a bit funny but it went away again. Probably water getting in from me using it unprotected in the rain.

7D - Joystick occasionally plays up after wet weather usage, probably from prolonged usage in medium to heavy rain unprotected.

S-type focus screen for 5D: the plastic case it came in had a broken tab! Oh noes!

No major problems, needs AF-microadjust.

EF 35/2

EF 50/1.8

EF 85/1.8

No problems at all:

EF 100-400L

EF-S 15-85

MP-E65

S-type focus screen for 50D

Genuine spare batteries for 50D and 7D

Angle finder C

The rest of my Canon kit is used. The only used lens I had a problem with was a 35-350L which wouldn't lock focus at certain focal lengths and depending on how you hold it. I suspect the front section was worn loose and was tilting away from the optical axis. As it was a used lens from a dealer I could return it for a refund. It was over 10 years old at the time I bought it.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Over the last 6 years or so I had a 30D and a 40D, a 10-22, a 17-55, a 70-200 f/4L IS, a 50 1.8

*The 17-55 had the "dust inside" syndrom despite carrying a filter from day 1. Purely a cosmetic issue, never really complained.

*The 40D had an "err 99" after 2 years and a half and was sent to servicing : shutter was dead at about 16.000 actuations (far from the 100k). Had to be replaced but they didn't provide more details. Glad I extended my warranty with my shop in this case.

Use was moderate with some peak periods in wales, canada, south africa. Pretty happy with Canon overall. On minor details, both my Ef-S lenses loosened a bit too much for my taste mechanically but they all seemed to have kept high levels of optical performance.

Greetings,

S.
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1291393892' post='4738']

Just wanted to check on peoples experience with Canon QC.[/quote]

Bodies:

40D: Bought brandnew, used for 1 year, 2 months (now sold): No problems

5D MkII: bought brandnew, using for 1 year, 10 months: No real problems but some corner AF points less accurate than in other in corners. This had been there out of the box but realised too late because I don't use the corner points anyway. Center AF is as fast/accurate as on anything else (1D3, 1Ds3, 1D4, D3, D3s, etc.) I've used.

50D: Bought brandnew for IR conversion, using for 1 year, 2 months: No problems

Eos 3: Bought used, been using for 8 months: No problems

Lenses:

17-55 2.8 IS: bought brandnew, used for 1 year (now sold): No problems

70-200 f4 IS: bought brandnew, used for 9 months (now sold): no problems

24 1.4L: bought brandnew, used for 2 months (now sold): no problems

85 1.2L II: bought brandnew, using for 2 years, 7 months: no problems

24 1.4L II: bought brandnew, using for 1 year, 8 months: no problems

200 f2L IS: bought brandnew, using for 2 years, 2 months: no problems

TS-E 90 2.8: bought brandnew, using for 6 months, no problems

Other stuff:

580EX II x 2: bought brandnew, using for 9 months: no problems

ST-E2: bought brandnew, using for 7 months: no problems

GTW
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1291393892' post='4738']

Just wanted to check on peoples experience with Canon QC.

[/quote]

I just had one real problem, with a Canon A70 compact camera: after 5 years or so, the sensor developed a problem ("pink lines" across the photos). Canon repaired it for free.

My 24-105 mm F/4.0 L is slightly less sharp in one corner than in the others, but the difference is small. It doesn't bother me.

No problems at all with:

• EOS 50e

• EOS 5D

• EF 100-300 mm F/4.5-5.6

• EF 28 mm F/2.8

• EF 100 mm F/2.8 macro

• 580EX

Thomas
Just got my 24-105 L IS back from Canon which I send in for calibration since it was heavily decentered. Actually I didnt get my lens back, but they send me a brand new copy without further comment. Nice service, but it still makes me wonder how a lens could pass QC which obviusly was so heavily decenterd that it couldnt be calibrated .
is it possible that something could have occurred in shipping prior to your purchase that would have caused the de-centered condition?
I've had bad luck with 17-55/2.8 IS. My first copy was not sharp (possibly decentering). I sent it back and my second copy front-focuses severely. I've fixed it with AF micro-adjust.

All other gear (bodies + lenses, about a dozen in total) have performed just fine.

3rd party gear: about a dozen lenses. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina. Never had a problem.
[quote name='Bryan Conner' timestamp='1292868524' post='5128']

is it possible that something could have occurred in shipping prior to your purchase that would have caused the de-centered condition?

[/quote]

All possible. But even if that was the case I am crtical of Canon since the lens arived in a well packed amazon packet and the box was absolutly flawless with no signs that it might have taken a hit or fallen down. I think L-Lenses are supposed to have a robust construction, so some bumping during shipping should not cause any elemnts to become decentered.
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1292874929' post='5130']

I think L-Lenses are supposed to have a robust construction, so some bumping during shipping should not cause any elemnts to become decentered.

[/quote]

It's like weather seals... no matter how good it is, there's only so much it can take. Heavy vibrations over a long period of time from a vehicle will not leave tell tale signs on a box but can move things around inside, maybe even more than a simple drop.

Also you got to ask the question... is the 28-300L going to be as robust as the 24-105L? And is the TS-E 90 less robust than the 24-105L because it's not an L lens?

As a simple rule of thumb, more elements = more things to go wrong.

GTW