Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Camera Manufacturers Need to Learn from Fuji
Interesting read from Nasim Mansurov:

https://photographylife.com/what-camera-...from-fuji/

I very much agree with these statements:
  • "Continuous Software Development Creates Loyalty"
  • "And each time I saw a firmware announcement, I would go back to my X-T1, update it, then play with the new features like I do when my iPhone gets a brand spanking new iOS update"
It's surprising that manufacturers in the photography industry don't seem to understand that second point. After all, a camera is no different from any other electronic device these days. Continuous firmware updates make a whole lot of sense, yet nobody does it. These japanese corporations are really slooooow moving entities behind their time in terms of thinking and spirit.

It's got to change otherwise some will definitely be left behind for good.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Fuji is a japanese corporation, as Sigma is, too. And Fuji belongs to a huge enterprise. I wonder why not them moving as a gravy entity?

And the iOS, as well as the OS updates lost their "hotness" the moment Steve Jobs went out of this world. Melodramatic, I know, but show me the opposite...

Look into Nikon forums. Old and stubborn traditionalists are the majority. The company deserves the customers deserve the company. After nearly 100 years, some life has gone...

Absolutely agreed here!

Canon/Nikon/Pentax  take heed, the latest Nikon D5/D500 dynamic AF mode "blunder" could be perfectly addressed by a FW update,

but no doubt Nikon will remain silent behind closed doors!

Corporate thinking doesn't leave space for open thinking.......

...........unfortunately!

But the writing is on the wall........for those who want read it!
My favorite(!) iOS update was released last year, which made me click on the Home button on my iPad Mini Retina (Non-fingerprint-thingie) because I'm not allowed to swipe to unlock anymore... Why? Because go buy the new version to heave some quality of life, that's why...

I hope Fuji never goes their way.

That's why I'm still wondering if they'll give the AutoISO update to the older models.

Still miles ahead of Sony, Canon and all the others of course.

Well in Canon land magiclantern is the way to go if you want forward updates.

50D did have video yet Canon decided not to enable it with magiclantern you have, 300D was just a castrated 10D with firmware, get the hacked firmware and you've got 10D with mirror instead of prism.

Some are worst spyder pro camera calibration is three times more expensive than spyder express only difference the serial you enter it will function as spyder express or pro
Not really a good example since Apple is a horrible company. About the only positive I see in apple is they still make 1/2 decent hardware. I.e, you are comparing one of the best with one of the worse so the disparity is unusually large Smile

Having said that I am rather pleased with Fuji attitude; though as always it begs the question if they are successful (or as they gain success) will they sing a different song ? Time will tell.

Quote:My favorite(!) iOS update was released last year, which made me click on the Home button on my iPad Mini Retina (Non-fingerprint-thingie) because I'm not allowed to swipe to unlock anymore... Why? Because go buy the new version to heave some quality of life, that's why...

That's why I'm still wondering if they'll give the AutoISO update to the older models.

Quote:My favorite(!) iOS update was released last year, which made me click on the Home button on my iPad Mini Retina (Non-fingerprint-thingie) because I'm not allowed to swipe to unlock anymore... Why? Because go buy the new version to heave some quality of life, that's why...

Panasonic and especially Olympus have been doing this for years. From that POV Fuji is just a follower Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
"when Apple or Google release major OS updates for the phone or a tablet you bought a couple of years ago, does that make you excited? I am sure the answer is a definite “Yes”...

No doubt the authors think I wait with bated breath for Micro$oft updates too.  Not!  I agree with Joju that he is way off of the mark with that comparison.  Apple, and Google seem to me to be aggressive and controlling in the revisions of their products.  I don't know how much applies to other parts of the world.  Governments, no doubt, have laws that may not allow all of the same practices that go on in the U.S.A.

But I don't want to be negative about Fuji, Olympus, and any manufacturer that actually wants to improve the experience for their customers.  I totally agree with the sentiment of the OP.  I also agree with toni-a.  I think it is really self-defeating to cripple features in software just to try to instill a sense of neediness is the purchasers of the basic software.  What kind of philosophy is it to punish your customers, instead of tying to help them and encourage them to do their best work? 
Quote:" I think it is really self-defeating to cripple features in software just to try to instill a sense of neediness is the purchasers of the basic software.  What kind of philosophy is it to punish your customers, instead of tying to help them and encourage them to do their best work? 

Very well said Arthur
Seems That Canon also went this way

they have added many features to the 5D MKIV after launching with firmware

first clog for video dynamic range, now crop factor for 4K videos has been reduced from 1.74 to 1.27

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/29/canon-5...74x-1-27x/