Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 40D - does it worth?
Hi guys!

I know there are a lot of professionals between you, and I need your opinion.

Right now I own a Canon 450D and a Sigma 24-70. I love the lens (thanks to PZ). I want to updrage the body to 40D. Is it worth?

Danke!
If it is worth it, only you can answer. What do you expect the 40D to do what the 450D does not do?

You will lose a bit of functionality in the live view area (the 40D was the 1st Canon DSLR with "mainstream" live view, without contrast detect AF). You will lose a bit of resolution. And (not sure about this point) ISO in the view finder.

You gain a bigger view finder, weight, size, 2nd wheel on the back and in FPS.

What makes you look at the EOS 40D?

[quote name='marius' date='01 July 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1277972164' post='775']

Hi guys!

Right now I own a Canon 450D and a Sigma 24-70. I love the lens (thanks to PZ). I want to updrage the body to 40D. Is it worth?

Danke!

[/quote]
I really don't use the Live view function, I like the viewfinder, and if 40D has a brighter and bigger one, it will be great.

ISO missing in the Live view it's not such a huge lost for me.

The 450D is allready heavy with the grip and 2 batteries + Sigma 24-70.

I expect, from 40D, a better image quallity in high ISO range, and a better quality at all.
[quote name='marius' date='01 July 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1277973579' post='778']

I really don't use the Live view function, I like the viewfinder, and if 40D has a brighter and bigger one, it will be great.

ISO missing in the Live view it's not such a huge lost for me.

The 450D is allready heavy with the grip and 2 batteries + Sigma 24-70.

I expect, from 40D, a better image quallity in high ISO range, and a better quality at all.

[/quote]

The 40D was/is not exactly known to be a superstar at high ISO, I would not expect a huge difference there. An EOS 550D an 7D will give you a much bigger improvement in that area.

What other areas do you expect better quality?
1. ISO

2. Better colors

3. Speed

4. Viewfinder

5. AF in low light.

This will be my wish list from a camera, so far...
[quote name='marius' date='01 July 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1277975783' post='780']

1. ISO

2. Better colors

3. Speed

4. Viewfinder

5. AF in low light.

This will be my wish list from a camera, so far...

[/quote]

1. Well, in my opinion the high ISO noise profile from the EOS 40D is not a (big) step up from the EOS 450D.

2. Better colors? The 450D has very good colours. The only ways you are going to get "better" colours is to find the profiles (picture styles) that suit your taste, shoot in RAW, get better in post processing in for instance Photoshop. You won't get a difference by going from 450D to 40D.

More contrasty lenses CAN help with the impression of "better colours", or getting a camera which has somehow a more locally dynamic "character" like the 1D mk III and mk IV seem to have.

3. I guess you mean possible frames per second... yes, the 40D is a bit faster.

4. Yes

5. The 450D is actually very good in AF in low light, I do not think the 40D especially will show much improvement in that area. The 50D has a better reputation in the AF area (and the 550D also seems to have a bit of an edge over the 450D there).
hmmmm,

so I will win only a better viewfinder and a few fps...

thanks for your advices.
...and better ergonomics with the second wheel on the backside of the body. 40D is a better camera body IMHO, but I'm not sure of the convenience of the upgrade.

I would suggest to wait a couple of months. Rumors says that EOS 60D could be released on July/August.

Even if you are not interested in the eventual 60D, the price of 50D will drop a bit, and the 50D is a major upgrade from 450D, thanks to the focus microadjustement utility (that could be very useful in the case of front/backfocusing lenses), better LCD, improved software, improved AF, etc.

I'm not sure how it perform in the noise department, I've never used it.
[quote name='marius' date='01 July 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1277984803' post='782']

hmmmm,

so I will win only a better viewfinder and a few fps...

thanks for your advices.

[/quote]

Having owned a 30D then a 40D and shot extensively with it in almost every situations I can tell you it was a great camera.

Now, when I read your list, I don't see ergonomics. While the viewfinder certainly is an important ergonomical element, body grip, balance and button layout is IMHO just as important. In that area, I think the 40D will give you much more "responsiveness", steadyness and speed of use. Mainly thanks to the additional thumb wheel and the little joystick.

Having said that, another important ergonomical element is the LCD screen, at least for me. And I'm not talking about live view but in general use.There, I think the 40D really shows its age. Since you have the 450D, it might be similar and might just be good enough for you but I think that the 40D unit really is a pain. Strong color cast, complete inability to check details (rubbish review sampling)... blarg. One second with a new one and that's it.

AF wise, I've always thought the AF was quite effective in single shot AF, even in very dark conditions with all AF points but have found its tracking just ok for Servo. In single shot AF, I don't know how better it is to the 450D but having all 9 sensors cross sensible, I suppose it's able to discriminate contrast better on peripheral AF points than the 450D. Peripheral points that you are invited to use more often and VERY quickly with the little joystick (not on 450D) thanks to a properly set custom function. A lot less of "focus&recompose" when you can select your AF point in just one direct thumb push.

Now for my recommendation, I would say it's only a matter of price and speed of use. At this late stage, I'd probably only upgrade from a 450D for a very modest price and only if I'd intend to take advantage of its superior ergonomics and speed. For the rest -image quality, colors, iso,... things that are unrelated to "performances"- I think it would be a waste of money.

Hope it helps,

S.
[quote name='marius' date='01 July 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1277972164' post='775']

Hi guys!

Danke!

[/quote]

I have the 40D (and the 5DII) and don't think you should change from the 450D which is a fine camera, with a better sensor than the one in the 40D which has one of Canon's least impressive sensors. High ISO performance of the 40D is disappointing; I never go above ISO 400 and even there, it's not too impressive. Yes, the build is better and the VF brighter, and you get slightly better FPS, but are they enough reason to change? The images won't be any better. If you check out the DPR tests, they rate the 450D higher in terms of IQ.

Michael