Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW
I don't see a reason, why sharpness, saturation (and contrast) as well as the white-balance setting

should have an impact on the raw image data stored in the rawfile. However, the preview image, which is

calculated in-camera has used these parameters, and also, histogram calculation might have used

them as well. Also ... the settings of all those various parameters are at least stored within the rawfile,

even if the value had no influence on the image data so far.

When it comes to processing the rawfile in your computer, it might depend on the program you use

(and on the settings within the program) if those parameters have an impact or not ... I can only speak

for the Canon world here ... but there might be parallels in the Pentax world as well ... Canons raw processor (DPP) uses the camera parameters as well as picture styles as default values for the conversion ...

you can of course modify all values, but the startpoint is the same as the camera used to process the

preview image. Other raw converters might completely ignore all in-camera settings ... those will

obviously produce different results as DPP does, when used with everything set to defaults.

So, yes, parameters might have an impact on the result of the raw conversion ... they should not have an

impact on the raw data itself. (Except those settigs, that directly influence the exposure ... like iso-setting,

high-tone-priority but also noise-reduction and dark-frame substraction).

Just my 2cts ... Rainer

Messages In This Thread
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Comte - 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Rainer - 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Guest - 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Guest - 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Guest - 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Camera settings sharpness + saturation in RAW - by Guest - 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM