Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting RAW vs JPG
I started digital photography shooting JPG  then rapidly switched to RAW, and shot nothing but RAW till last year when I started RAW plus JPG, and noticed, that for events and everything that is not landscape or studio like portraiture, I don't actually need RAW.
This week I started shooting JPG and discovered how practical it is, of course now I am shooting correct exposure not to the right to avoid shadow noise, I am setting white balance manually or bracketing it or grey grey card. What's the point of RAW if all they would be used to is a WebPage ?
So finally I managed to overcome my anxiety and shoot JPG and save precious time for more important things.
Of course for every other photos when I will be printing or I need good colors RAW is still the norm.
I know many who shoot nothing but JPG others who do just the opposite I am with neither
I'd rather shoot RAW all the time than miss a sudden photo opportunity due to a low quality picture because my camera was set to JPEG.
Quote:What's the point of RAW if all they would be used to is a WebPage ?

I always shoot RAW, but as you said it depends on the target. If your target is only the web, you probably have enough for most uses. It also depends on the workflow you use. I understand that RAW actually need more work (but for me is part of the fun).
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
you can shoot raw + jpg if you are concern. As to the quality of the jpg while improved across all systems it does depend on the system. Olympus and fuji tend to have pretty decent jpg output; not sure about today but when i used canon i always found it a bit weaker.
It always depends - the question of the day is whether you require more DR for post-processing and better sharpening.
Let's be honest - not all shots require the ultimate in image quality.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I never use RAW. Tried once on the insistence of the mentor in a photo tour but found that for the majority of the situations it doesn't make a difference enough to justify the added space requirements and hassle. Besides, I tended to toil over processing for absurdly long times, because I was never sure that I had found the "right" setting, and that slowed the workflow to a crawl.

Maybe I'll try shooting RAW+JPEG sometime during a vacation again, just to have that option (keeping the JPEGs and deleting all RAWs unless I find I need something extra from that particular picture), who knows. For the work, it's all strictly JPEG.
I'm perfectly fine with shooting JPGs in situations with no complicated light, no surprising exposure changes and enough time to prepare JPG settings, what balance, dynamic range adjustments - or mass production, like weddings, sports, birds in flight, focus stacks, panoramas with balanced histogram.

This picture is made of 49 JPGs, therefore saving diskspace and increasing processing speed.

[Image: Sleipnir%20Antrieb-L.jpg]

(It's still not perfect at the spokes, but also not that much of a value to spend more time.)

Nonetheless, to be prepared for any surprises and able to focus more on composition and the right moment, I don't use anything else than RAW for daily purposes. Too often I came home with JPGs (in the early days of digital images) wanted to tweak some colours, highlights, shadows - yet there was no reserves left. JPG is nice if I could nail everything, but a real disappointment if the moment was perfect - and the white balance not.

As for "spending too long with too many possibilities": I find it helpful to have an idea or a concept before taking a picture - I get lost, if I find a picture "somehow interesting, but a bit is missing". I know I will fail if I try to get a picture right only in post. PP to me is a final touch - not a correction of the wrong idea before. I'm speaking strictly only of my wrong ideas, rover...  Blush
Nikon have a bad plan with their "qual/+" button on the left of the screen.......

it's just so easy to accidentally press the button and turn the rear dial..........

Nikon should remove that ......my friend was shooting a wedding and found half way through the images changed to medium Jpg....

....that's on the wrong side of dangerous!

Oh, nice bike JoJu!
(03-28-2018, 07:33 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Nikon have a bad plan with their "qual/+" button on the left of the screen.......

it's just so easy to accidentally press the button and turn the rear dial..........

Nikon should remove that ......my friend was shooting a wedding and found half way through the images changed to medium Jpg....

....that's on the wrong side of dangerous!

Oh, nice bike JoJu!

Yes, it truly is  Shy it's motivating me to go out and take some pictures, or just a nice ride.
I always shoot RAW + JPG.
Very often, I find the WB to not be exactly right. Tweaking it is a matter of seconds.
For the best shots, I want to have the RAW to be able to fully exploit the file.
The jpeg are here for quick viewing or for most shots I won't retouch.
--Florent

Flickr gallery