Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tamron 70-200VC vs Sigma 70-200OS
Hi Iam considering one of those lenses, they are available at very affordable prices here, which one do you consider the better alternative?
Some comparisons are made by Cameralabs in their Nikon 70-200/2.8 E review (in the Nikon scope, of course): http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_...ness.shtml

The Tamron looks better than the Sigma (unsurprisingly, as it's a newer model).

But not the newest?

Tamron announced their SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC in February. So, if you don't need it tomorrow, my advice would be "wait and get something very exciting". BUT: honestly, I'm no expert for 70-200/2.8 zooms. Somehow I find them useless for me  :mellow: No, "pointless" is the better word. For me it's often "not enough range", not short enough" "minimal distance too big" - so, my advice is really only getting something cool and new. Doesn't have to be the best for you.

Sigma should also announce a 70-200/2.8 as their current one is dated. But even if they do so: It will take a lot time form announcement to (your) market, it will not come with Arca-foot and will not be much better than the Tamron. After my experience with the 150-600 G2 I'd trust them to bring out a decent standard-zoom.

Well, yeah, the G2 isn't shipping (correct me if I'm mistaken) yet so I think it's a little hard to find any reviews. Smile

I too am thinking of replacing my aging Canon L - in use by me since 2008 and god knows how long before that by previous owner(s) - with something newer and maybe even longer. Smile The Tamron is an interesting candidate. It's really a pity that Photozone has never tested the (so far) current VC Tamron - but I have high hopes in Markus as he may evaluate it like he did the 17-35. I can imagine that the G2 review is inevitable at some point so having reviews of both in order to be able to compare them would be very desirable.

In times of the internet there're probably already more reviews then lenses out in the wild.  Big Grin Just google it, dozens of reviews around. But also one very good "counter review". It was linked also here in PZ. So I just copy the link out of a post which says basically "Hi. Link" Hi without a single typo, I wish I could say the same from my posts  Sad .

B) Edit: "just google AND verifiy it, JoJu", grrr :angry: . Sorry, all old stuff. At the least the phoblographer likes it, pheeww /Edit

It's just me - I would not invest money in something elder if the newer has some advantages over it. And in Tamron's case, I definitely would opt for the later version. While if I should decide amongst Nikon, I would refuse the decision, the pricing is just higher than the value I can recognize.

Quote:It's really a pity that Photozone has never tested the (so far) current VC Tamron - but I have high hopes in Markus as he may evaluate it like he did the 17-35. I can imagine that the G2 review is inevitable at some point so having reviews of both in order to be able to compare them would be very desirable.
I have two good news for you Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:I have two good news for you Wink

-- Markus
Oh Markus, can I buy you a beer? Smile

If we ever meet face to face and your offer is still valid, I will probably not deny it Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:It's just me - I would not invest money in something elder if the newer has some advantages over it. And in Tamron's case, I definitely would opt for the later version. While if I should decide amongst Nikon, I would refuse the decision, the pricing is just higher than the value I can recognize.
I (personally) would consider it at least. There's a fairly wide-spread market of options ranging from very affordable (current generation Sigma and Tamron, used) to kinda pricey but great (Nikkor VR II) to "ouch" (current Nikkor). Not sure where the G2 would fit in there. All I noticed so far is their high claims concerning VC (5 stops... uff, might be handy for slo-mo action shots, like street chess...) and the obvious focus breathing.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I think the 5 stops of VC may well be the mode (mode 3) that doesn't stabilize the viewfinder and only functions when the shutter actually activates with a kind of super energetic burst B) ...the G2 150-600mm has a similar mode though claims 4 stops, I've not had a chance to see it's effectiveness.