Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S announced
Definitely a lens Nikon must have in its portfolio if it wants the Z system to lift off among pros. The MTF charts look very promising.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-.../index.htm
Editor
opticallimits.com

Canon won't be impressed. More on this ... next week ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Nikon's SR element appears to be something similar in function as Canon's BR.

The MTFs look amazing, better at the corners than the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 FL VR, and quite a bit better than the Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM. And those two lenses are pretty good themselves.

The Canon's main party piece is the low weight (400 grams less) and small size in the bag. But that does come with quite some widening focus breathing expense.
Kudos to Canon for the size and weight advantage, but for such a lens, I don't really like the idea of an extending zoom. Any zoom that changes its length accumulates dust over time, no matter if sealed or not.
Plus, focus breathing shouldn't be an issue in this lens class anymore... didn't we go through several generations to get rid of it?
Little bonus in the Nikon: they claim it's parfocal.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(01-07-2020, 11:17 AM)mst Wrote: Kudos to Canon for the size and weight advantage, but for such a lens, I don't really like the idea of an extending zoom. Any zoom that changes its length accumulates dust over time, no matter if sealed or not.
Plus, focus breathing shouldn't be an issue in this lens class anymore... didn't we go through several generations to get rid of it?
Little bonus in the Nikon: they claim it's parfocal.

Nikon's 1st 70-200mm had narrowing (the good kind) focus breathing. The issue started with the II version (widening FOV at MFD). The 70-200mm f4 had narrowing focus breathing, as does the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 FL VR.

No Canons had the widening FOV at MFD.... Till this new RF lens. 

So yes, Nikon got rid of it, but Canon just now introduced it.
(01-07-2020, 11:17 AM)mst Wrote: Little bonus in the Nikon: they claim it's parfocal.
IMHO this is not a little bonus, if you are a videographer that's a major plus, and even for stills being able to zoom without losing focus, should be handy on portraiture also a domain where this lens should be big player.
FWIW Canon EF70-200f2.8 IS is already parfocal dunno if the RF version did maintain it
Parfocal just means that the lens stays in focus while changing focal length (zooming) right? What is special about that? My old 70-200mm f4 L IS USM is parfocal, as are probably all Canon 70-200mm lenses. Only when I add extension tubes, it loses this parfocalness (which is expected). I think that most zoom lenses I have used were parfocal.

I don't see what the bonus is when it is normal for such a lens.
I haven't done any extensive testing with the different 70-200 lenses, but from my experience, in general most zooms are not parfocal.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(01-09-2020, 07:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Parfocal just means that the lens stays in focus while changing focal length (zooming) right? What is special about that?

a lens being pafocal is essential for video, less for stills
(01-09-2020, 08:32 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 07:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Parfocal just means that the lens stays in focus while changing focal length (zooming) right? What is special about that?

a lens being pafocal is essential for video, less for stills

1. No idea what you think this ads to my post. My post was about pointing out that being parfocal IS NOT SPECIAL (other lenses are too).
2. Most serious video does not deal at all with zooming in or out.
3. You  must not have a lot of close up stills experience to not understand the annoyance of changing focus plane while zooming to find the right framing.