Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's got photo-gear dropping into their Christmas stocking?
Hi guys,

Have any of you sent Santa Claus a little note for some photo-gear to appear in your Christmas stocking?

Share your Christmas photography tidings with us here, we promise not to tell your wives (where applicable)  Wink

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

me Big Grin

Having a new B+W polarizer

Just checked your gallery at flickr 

amazing work you got there , thumbs up

Nothing, so far. I already passed a Fuji double cashback because I don't want to invest more in an apparently exotic RAW-format. I'm just fed up with the lazy assholes of Capture One - they try to milk their customers with a new version 10 and are just incapable of getting compressed Fuji RAW to work - since a year now. This is no stupidity, it is happening on purpose.

I have some fun with experimenting in Affinity photo which is just stunning. Quality, price, usability. Very close to perfect for me. I feel tired of consuming new stuff which still doesn't work. It is spoilig a lot of fun. 60% wasted diskspace, no more.

No consumation of photo-gear, there's other nice stuff around as well - and: I already had fun doing two photobooks of Portugal and I will have more fun in doing two or three calendars. Seein the results can sometimes be more pleasing than getting new stuff.
are you still using Capture One to manage photos while using Affinity photo for edits? I'm still using Aperture and wondering what to change to. Affinity photo looks to have some some really nice editing tools at a good price.

I had been patiently waiting after seeing on my "Bon Coin" site the Sigma Sport 150-600 come up for sale nearby, I made a rendez-vous and the next day the guy canceled because his daughter was seriously ill, I dropped it for a couple of weeks and then sent a message....no response, so I waited a little longer and rang again. his daughter had recovered considerably and his obvious worries about her health had abated somewhat....

So I picked up the lens yesterday, it had only taken 300 shots, the guy apologized for having canceled and dropped the price by €50, we chatted photos for over two hours, he's published several photo books of the region. We also discussed LBA, he also suffers from it worse than I,  he's selling lots of gear including D4s and  his Fuji stuff to buy a AF-S 500mm F4 VR.

Just tested it quickly, OK overall, lovely build quality, I ordered the dock, my friend arrives in a few days so the Tamron will have a new home, that lens has given me more pleasure than any lens I have ever bought. All in all it's been a good year with much of my spending being financed by selling gear.(you know I almost believed that)

This time I promised that my lens buying days are over......err .this time!

Thanks Toni!

JoJu, CS6 does'n't support D500 RAWs so I have to convert to Adobe DNG, so I know what you mean, a pain in the veritable!

Almost got two lenses, one Zeiss 4/50 C T* and one Zeiss 4/150 C T*. Seller didn't accept my offer so I'll include a "I don't celebrate Christmas anyway" card with two L-Brackets that I've just bought.

Quote:JoJu, CS6 does'n't support D500 RAWs so I have to convert to Adobe DNG, so I know what you mean, a pain in the veritable!

Too true.  Sad

Quote:are you still using Capture One to manage photos while using Affinity photo for edits? I'm still using Aperture and wondering what to change to. Affinity photo looks to have some some really nice editing tools at a good price.

I never used C1 to manage files - after years with Aperture I just realized how far advanced it was at it's time and in terms of stability and usability still is.

At the moment, the dumb iPhone "developer" kids in Cupertino are not able to deliver RAW support for X-T2 at all. Not to speak of compressed RAW. So, I have to use C1 for developing Fuji X-T2 RAWs, it's awkward workflow and sh*tty UI I somehow survive. I do JPG and RAW and try to synchronize them, because loading 1500 50 MB RAWs into C1 is something I don't dare to think about. But I have to admit, if it comes to bring back highlights and shadows to shine, it does a gorgeous job. Without saving a TIF, DNG or PSD first. Affinity is depending on Apple's RAW-converter, I'm afraid.

Sorry to hijack the X-Mas thread for this rant, I'm really frustrated how excellent hardware gets more and more determined by the availability of good software.

Well most important I` will be dedicating at least two full days for photography, that's more important than any gear, when you are head of two departments at the hospital it's  hard to have free time.

Also I will be participating at a photo exhibition, with several artists mainly painters , that should be a great experience, frankly what I need now isn't gear but opportunities for shooting and sharing my pictures,

Other than the polarizer I will be getting backup hard drives..

If I'm lucky, I may be able to sell something before the end of the months. Not sure I'm gonna try though.