Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A7S III announced
12MP like the A7S, and like the A7S II.

Or as Sony puts it:
  • Newly developed BIONZ XR™ image processing engine with eight times more processing power and a brand new 12.1-megapixel (, effective) back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor, significantly reduced rolling shutter effect
  • Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO range expandable from 40 – 409,600, and improved image quality by approximately 1 stop noise reduction in the middle and high sensitivity ranges
  • Video recording capabilities include 4K 120p[, 10 bit 4:2:2 color depth, All-Intra recording, XAVC HS format with H.265 codec and more
  • 15+ stop dynamic range for movies
  • 4K 60p 16-bit RAW video HDMI output for the first time in the Alpha™ series
  • Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 point phase-detection AF sensors covering 92% of image sensor
    Enhanced Real-time Eye AF for movie recording and still image recording
  • New heat dissipating mechanism and dual slot relay recording enables over one-hour long 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting  
  • 5-axis optical in-body image stabilization supports handheld movie shooting, with added Active Mode  to support especially difficult handheld movie shooting
  • World’s brightest[x] and largest new 0.64-type 9.44 million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
  • Side Opening variable angle LCD screen enhances shooting flexibility
  • Completely redesigned menu system with touch screen interface and touch operation
  • High-speed continuous still image shooting at up to 10fps for more than 1,000 consecutive uncompressed RAW images[xii] with full AF / AE tracking
  • Dual CFexpress Type A card slots that enable high speed data processing while keeping the compact size

So, basically a video MILC with stills afterthought, with no oversampled 4K and no DCI 4K. Or 12mp stills FF MILC for only $3500.

Big improvements: The colours don't suck anymore like they used to, maybe this camera will perform like the Sony FX9 in that area (but probably not?). And finally a Canon style swivel screen, and finally Canon style full touch screen.

"Sony says that the sensor reads out twice as fast as on the a7S II, which considerably reduces rolling shutter".
Hmm....

Top: EOS R5 pre-production model
Bottom: Sony A7S III

.jpg   dA13mb.jpg (Size: 147.85 KB / Downloads: 10)

Just saw a video comparing IBIS from this new Sony A7S III and Canon EOS R5... The Canon blows the Sony IBIS out of the water. Unexpected and impressive...
And outdoors in the sun, the R5 overheats later than the Sony A7S III (not so in airconditioned indoors situation). Neither overheated on the videographer in real life shooting situations.
I have watched at least a dozen video on the R5 and A7SIII and every video of the R5 have confirmed overheating ..... with the exception of one 4K lower quality mode ...... 
 OTH ...... the A7SIII had only one 4K mode that overheated eventually (nearly an hour) ...all the other modes could record continuously well over the the R5's 29min limit... there is no comparison here ....... the A7SIII basically doesn't overheat and has no limit in record time. 

A pro-video shooters review of the A7SIII:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG79FkN7EPk

Remember don't shoot the messenger !!
(07-28-2020, 08:22 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I have watched at least a dozen video on the R5 and A7SIII and every video of the R5 have confirmed overheating ..... with the exception of one 4K lower quality mode ...... 
 OTH ...... the A7SIII had only one 4K mode that overheated eventually (nearly an hour) ...all the other modes could record continuously well over the the R5's 29min limit... there is no comparison here ....... the A7SIII basically doesn't overheat and has no limit in record time. 

If it is warm enough, the Sony's new passive cooling can't lose the heat to the war outside, making the Sony overheat before the Canon. The Panasonic with its fan did best in warm weather, and the Fuji worst.
I guess the Sony doesn't require any binning at 4K - meaning less processing - resulting in less heat.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Soon someone will compare the oversampled 4K from R5 withA7s3 on a video frame and find a minor difference nobody else would see in real life and even an expert won't be able to spot in video.
R5 vs A7s3 is like apples vs oranges
let's face it at 12 MP it is not a stills camera by today standards, it is professional video oriented
R5 is a true hybrid camera, it has outstanding video capabilities but limited with heat and targets a totally different population
(07-28-2020, 08:34 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 08:22 PM)davidmanze Wrote: I have watched at least a dozen video on the R5 and A7SIII and every video of the R5 have confirmed overheating ..... with the exception of one 4K lower quality mode ...... 

If it is warm enough, the Sony's new passive cooling can't lose the heat to the war outside, making the Sony overheat before the Canon. The Panasonic with its fan did best in warm weather, and the Fuji worst.

Which "war" are you talking about BC ??..... there's been so many !!
Which still raises the age-old question - who needs 45mp (or 62mp over at Sony)?

You don't need it for web, 4K screens nor for reasonably sized posters (20ish mp is enough here). That leaves image crops as pretty much the only meaningful application.
I thought it was funny how many people are bashing the R6 because it doesn't offer more mp than smartphones.

(07-28-2020, 10:03 PM)Klaus Wrote: Which still raises the age-old question - who needs 45mp (or 62mp over at Sony)?

You don't need it for web, 4K screens nor for reasonably sized posters (20ish mp is enough here). That leaves image crops as pretty much the only meaningful application.
I thought it was funny how many people are bashing the R6 because it doesn't offer more mp than smartphones.
I do, at least, that is how I think about it.
Basically, for large prints.
I have made large prints of anything from 8 MP to 30 MP, prior to upscaling, but it looks like the sweet spot lies stil a bit higher, although that may well be a moving target (I already found that a 45 MP CCD MF sensor is not the solution, anyway, as my 5D II produced better results Smile).

In addition, reducing image size from a large file gets rid of some noise if you so like.

Cropping is something I very rarely do, and when i do it, it generally is minimal - goes back to my analog days Smile.

Kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I don't know whether you are a pro but how many super-sized prints is a non-pro producing per year? 5?

I mean it's all fun for non-pros - and why not anyway, of course - but realistically ...

FWIW, I watch my stuff on a 4k 32" screen or in other words - at ~8mp. So technically an a7S III would be the right tool for me.

(07-28-2020, 09:46 PM)Klaus Wrote: I guess the Sony doesn't require any binning at 4K - meaning less processing - resulting in less heat.

It would be interesting to know how their passive cooling system works!