Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember the EOS 3? Is this the spiritual descendant?

.jpeg   eos_r3-768x679.jpeg (Size: 50.4 KB / Downloads: 8)

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1...4582929408

Oh, that was yesterday's news, apparently.

Canon has announced the R3 development today. It will sit between the R5 (that camera that matches or outperforms the Sony A1) and a future R1. It will place great emphasis on "superb autofocus performance and speed, with fast-moving subjects".
Canon says this camera can shoot at 30 FPS with full-time Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus active and auto exposure. Canon says that the EOS R3’s subject detection AF will offer new recognisable subjects for its AF system, which it says will bolster its focusing capabilities during challenging shooting conditions. Canon also says that the electronic viewfinder (EVF) will feature the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking simply by looking at the viewfinder, called Eye Control AF (hello EOS 3). Canon also says that it will have a stacked back side illuminated sensor.

My guess is that this camera will be available for professionals for the Olympic games held in Japan this year.
They'll have to be pretty darn quick for that to happen if we're getting a "development announcement" in mid-April while the games are slated to begin on July 23rd. And they can't hope to just hand a few people whose livelihood depends on getting THE shot some half-baked prototypes that might hang up or get hesitant with AF at THE moment. Smile

We'll see how this pans out. Smile
I remember how much I was hoping for a 3D, but eventually gave up when the D3 was announced. And now, finally, here it is Wink

Seriously: from the little that is known so far, it already sounds like a really exciting camera. And a nice looking one, IMO, too.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-14-2021, 03:41 PM)mst Wrote: I remember how much I was hoping for a 3D, but eventually gave up when the D3 was announced. And now, finally, here it is Wink

Seriously: from the little that is known so far, it already sounds like a really exciting camera. And a nice looking one, IMO, too.

I think the 5D Mark III was that 3D in the flesh (circuit?) It was the first 5D series camera with good autofocus, a true allrounder and a (relatively) compact one at that. No wonders the 1D series weren't as popular after it anymore. (no, I am an exception that likes big cameras but doesn't drool for full frame)
True, at least in terms of body size it's closer to the idea of an EOS 3 successor for many than the R3 will be.

I love seeing eye controlled AF finally making its return to a Canon camera. It seems such a natural approach to AF control that I always wondered why no other brand seriously considered this option.
Editor
opticallimits.com

I've heard anecdotes about the eye control being a problem for shooting female portraits. Big Grin
LOL Smile

Ok, well... easy solution would be to expand the AF adjustment menu with another option: eye offset Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

EOS R3 will have a swivel screen and 2 AF joysticks (one extra for vertical shooting). It will undercut the price of the Sony A1, even though it has the integrated vertical grip.
Let's see how it pans out (and get ready for all the vitriol inevitably directed at the swivel screen, as in "....bbbbbut no professional camera will have a non-fixed screen, it's a deathblow to reliability!!!1!")
(04-14-2021, 05:42 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1...4582929408

Oh, that was yesterday's news, apparently.

Canon has announced the R3 development today. It will sit between the R5 (that camera that matches or outperforms the Sony A1) and a future R1. It will place great emphasis on "superb autofocus performance and speed, with fast-moving subjects".
Canon says this camera can shoot at 30 FPS with full-time Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus active and auto exposure. Canon says that the EOS R3’s subject detection AF will offer new recognisable subjects for its AF system, which it says will bolster its focusing capabilities during challenging shooting conditions. Canon also says that the electronic viewfinder (EVF) will feature the ability to select the initial area for AF tracking simply by looking at the viewfinder, called Eye Control AF (hello EOS 3). Canon also says that it will have a stacked back side illuminated sensor.

My guess is that this camera will be available for professionals for the Olympic games held in Japan this year.

Repetition of the word Canon ...... five times in one paragraph ........ pro-nowns please  ......... in this case ....... "they" Smile

(04-15-2021, 04:08 PM)Rover Wrote: I've heard anecdotes about the eye control being a problem for shooting female portraits. Big Grin

I understand ...... I'd switch it off ....... just in case it figures in the exif ........

... you don't want to return home to find the "Vice squad"  on your doorstep ! ......... Smile

......... (a cheesy fingerprint joke)