Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8 S
Regarding Z reviews here, some of you may have been reminded of the waiting period for Duke Nukem Forever, but eventually, even that one materialized (if one can say so for software).

I'll spend today with some final analysis of another copy of the AF-S 50/1.8 (on the D850... I'll write a bit more about the lab background in Klaus' state of the art thread later) and plan to finish the Z 50/1.8 review by the weekend.

In the meantime, as it has become a tradition here, the link to the sample images:

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/Ni...0mm-f18-S/

It's not a surprise or secret anymore with many reviews about this lens already published: this lens is a top-performer.
Editor
opticallimits.com

I don't understand why other people photos are always better than mine...

It's a good lens, and the foreground Nissen bokeh is the only major gripe that I have.
You just can't have too many lenses...
T
(04-20-2021, 02:24 PM)faint Wrote: I don't understand why other people photos are always better than mine...

It's a good lens, and the foreground Nissen bokeh is the only major gripe that I have.
There are several possible reasons:

- too critical towards yourself
- need to learn more about photograpy, improve skills
- need to improve post-processing skills

Of course, it could be a combination of the above too.

One way to deal with this, is to critically look at other's images, and try to understand what you like better in those photographs. Next step would be to try and emulate that and take it from there.

HTH, kind regars, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(04-20-2021, 02:24 PM)faint Wrote: I don't understand why other people photos are always better than mine...

Whether a photo is good (almost) never has to do with the lens used... Hard to say if other people's images are better than yours in general, too many unknowns (don't know your images, don't know how objective you are where your own images are concerned, or how good (or bad) your judgement/taste is in general where photography is concerned, or even whether 50mm just is not a focal length that suits you(r vision/subject choice and approach).

Some images I have taken with very shitty lenses are good or even gorgeous, while other images I have taken with good lenses may be very uninspired or just plain meh.
(04-20-2021, 04:10 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Whether a photo is good (almost) never has to do with the lens used... Hard to say if other people's images are better than yours in general, too many unknowns (don't know your images, don't know how objective you are where your own images are concerned, or how good (or bad) your judgement/taste is in general where photography is concerned, or even whether 50mm just is not a focal length that suits you(r vision/subject choice and approach).

Some images I have taken with very shitty lenses are good or even gorgeous, while other images I have taken with good lenses may be very uninspired or just plain meh.

Indeed, very well said.
--Florent

Flickr gallery