Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the midst of falling interest of DSLRs and posts.........
In the midst of falling DSLR posts and a lack of general postings ....... I just wanted to comment on how my D500 and the AF-S 600mm F4E plus TC14E III converter is coming up trumps with the goods now the winter weather is reducing air quality issues ...... 

both these two shots were taken on the 16/1/2022 ......... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

......... D500 600mm F4E + TC 14E III ......... 1/1600 sec F8 @800 ISO ....... hand held with VR

I'm happy with them ! ........ (somehow I feel I won't be going ML probably because my finances are now stretched)

dave's clichés
Dave's clichés
Nice shots. Thx for sharing Smile
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Until you find yourself lusting after a particular lens that is not mountable on your f-mount, I also see no reason why you should consider buying a mirrorless camera. Your current combo clearly performs well.
Frankly even if I had mirrorless I would move to your combo. And I happen to own both 7Dmkii that is in the same category as your D500 and EOSRP
for birding it is surely 7Dmkii, it is by far superior
1) reach with 1.6 crop
2) viewfinder and batteries with a MILC when you have the camera on using the viewfinder for a long time, it will drain battery and the worst if often goes to sleep mode, none of this with a DSLR you keep your eye n the viewfinder all the time you want waiting for the bird to be in ideal position
3) faster to find/lock autofocus on the bird, while a mirrorless camera shows superiority in portraiture with eye autofocus since in portraiture you have all the time for locking focus on your subject then tracking , in birding it's different, before tracking you have to lock autofocus on the subject and here mirrorless cameras struggle and this tiny amount of time might mean losing your shot.
4) screen refresh rate, whatever you do a DSLR will always be faster here it is physics
5) general feeling and handling, probably because we have used DSLRs for a long time, but we feel better with them
(01-20-2022, 06:26 AM)toni-a Wrote: Frankly even if I had mirrorless I would move to your combo. And I happen to own both 7Dmkii that is in the same category as your D500 and EOSRP
1) reach with 1.6 crop
2) viewfinder and batteries  with a MILC when you have the camera on using the viewfinder for a long time, it will drain battery and the worst if often goes to sleep mode, none of this with a DSLR you keep your eye n the viewfinder all the time you want waiting for the bird to be in ideal position
3) faster to find/lock autofocus  on the bird, while a mirrorless camera shows superiority in portraiture with eye autofocus since in portraiture you have all the time for locking  focus on your subject then tracking , in birding it's different, before tracking you have to lock autofocus on the subject and here mirrorless cameras struggle and this tiny amount of time might mean losing your shot.
4) screen refresh rate, whatever you do a DSLR will always  be faster here it is physics
5) general feeling and handling, probably because we have used DSLRs for a long time, but we feel better with them
Point 3 is not right. Most newer mirrorless cameras are faster with acquiring focus. Your RP (maybe in combination with the used lens?) might not be the best benchmark here.
Point 4: high screen refresh rates are so high that your eye does not notice it at all. So, big difference with old/cheaper and new/more expensive.
(01-20-2022, 07:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 06:26 AM)toni-a Wrote: Frankly even if I had mirrorless I would move to your combo. And I happen to own both 7Dmkii that is in the same category as your D500 and EOSRP
1) reach with 1.6 crop
2) viewfinder and batteries  with a MILC when you have the camera on using the viewfinder for a long time, it will drain battery and the worst if often goes to sleep mode, none of this with a DSLR you keep your eye n the viewfinder all the time you want waiting for the bird to be in ideal position
3) faster to find/lock autofocus  on the bird, while a mirrorless camera shows superiority in portraiture with eye autofocus since in portraiture you have all the time for locking  focus on your subject then tracking , in birding it's different, before tracking you have to lock autofocus on the subject and here mirrorless cameras struggle and this tiny amount of time might mean losing your shot.
4) screen refresh rate, whatever you do a DSLR will always be faster here it is physics
Point 3 is not right. Most newer mirrorless cameras are faster with acquiring focus. Your RP (maybe in combination with the used lens?) might not be the best benchmark here.
Point 4: high screen refresh rates are so high that your eye does not notice it at all. So, big difference with old/cheaper and new/more expensive.

"Until you find yourself lusting after a particular lens that is not mountable on your f-mount, I also see no reason why you should consider buying a mirrorless camera. Your current combo clearly performs well."

....... Nor do I !

3. Frankly I don't think acquisition of focus is much different in either pro DSLRs including the D6/ D500 / Canon and the best ML bodies ....... and I mean the best ....... AF coverage however, on pro FF DSLRs will always be a limitation .........the latest motors in pro ML lenses ....... linear motors, twin linear motors, voice coil motors etc ..... have upped the game !

4 What do you call high? ......... the Z9 is only 60 Hz
Dave's clichés
I've just had a thought ........ the Z9 can shoot at 120 FPS at 11 Mps Jpg ...........

this means you can only see every other image in the 60 Hz EVF !!
Dave's clichés
Well our brain doesn't see all images either (there is an infinity).
It's just that after a certain threshold, we just don't see the difference.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(01-20-2022, 03:01 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Well our brain doesn't see all images either (there is a finite limit ).
It's just that after a certain threshold, we just don't see the difference.

Well, we know that the Z9 is proving itself to be a great ML sports camera especially at it's price point ....... it has a bright EVF, no black out and there doesn't seem to be issues with the consistency of viewing flow ....... the super fast readout of the sensor keeps rolling shutter down to the point where it beats the competition ...... keeping any slanting vertical backgrounds when panning to the point where it's almost a non issue (great)
  However, it's relatively early days in the world of EVFs and no doubt in future developments, the emphasis will be on faster refresh rates as well as higher resolution EVFs enabled by faster processing ......... without the chopping and juggling between AF detection, no black out, the exposure of the image and consistant EVF resolution in order to accommodate an almost real time experience.

Sony has a 10 million dot EVF sensor, 30 Fps and 240 Hz refresh rate ...... it just doesn't have the processing power/speed be able to use these components without throttling back and compromising them ......... but it no doubt it will have in a few years!

So, I will sit back and watch what happens in the future to see which manufacturer actually achieves that and watch what the others do to match it .......

In the meantime my D500s/ 600mm F4E + TC  will do me fine !!
Dave's clichés
(01-20-2022, 10:46 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 07:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
1) reach with 1.6 crop

"Until you find yourself lusting after a particular lens that is not mountable on your f-mount, I also see no reason why you should consider buying a mirrorless camera. Your current combo clearly performs well."

....... Nor do I !

3. Frankly I don't think acquisition of focus is much different in either pro DSLRs including the D6/ D500 / Canon and the best ML bodies ....... and I mean the best ....... AF coverage however, on pro FF DSLRs will always be a limitation .........the latest motors in pro ML lenses ....... linear motors, twin linear motors, voice coil motors etc ..... have upped the game !

4 What do you call high? ......... the Z9 is only 60 Hz

Your computer screen also does 60 Hz... Do you see any flickering?